Vacation ideas needed

I am trying to come up with somewhere to go for a family vacation in July. We have kids who will be 4 (almost 5), 3, and 1 at that time. Our oldest is autistic and sometimes wants to wander off. I could try to take my mom along, too. Would you try it, or wait another year? Where would you go? We are in central Ohio, but willing to drive.

Hazelnutkin

Asked by Hazelnutkin at 1:28 PM on Jan. 17, 2011 in Just for Fun

• Well it depends on what you're looking for in a vacation. Entertaining the kids? Relaxation?

My family rents a beach house on the coast on N.C. every summer that is super relaxing and the kids always love spending a week at the beach. Plus it's close to Myrtle Beach if where there is plenty to do if we get bored.
    Namaste17

Answer by Namaste17 at 1:32 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• I guess we are looking for a low-key vacation some relaxation for the parents, some fun, new experiences for the kids. Not too much stress!
    Hazelnutkin

Comment by Hazelnutkin (original poster) at 1:38 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• I'd go for low-stress, low-crowd spots where the kids can safely run around. Last summer we took our family (me, hubby, 2 1/2 year old twins, and a teen) on an old fashioned road trip vacation through New Mexico hitting low-key tourist attractions and state/national parks.  We live in Texas, so we didn't spend all that many hours in the car getting to our first destination and then spent no more than 3 or 4 hours every few days in the car.  For us it was a good practice vacation.  We might try something more ambitious next summer.

TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 1:42 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• Ok cool, well the place I was talking about are any of the Brunswick County beaches in North Carolina. Myrtle beach is always fun too. It takes us about 15-18 hours to get there, it would probably be the same for you. But whatever you decide, I hope you have a nice vacation!
    Namaste17

Answer by Namaste17 at 1:43 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• the beach, disney would probley be to hard to do but kids love it there, Since live in ohio the space musuem, If wanted to stay closer to home a national park or even just a day playing mini golf
    momindiana

Answer by momindiana at 1:54 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• I vote a second for the NC beaches! Sunset Beach, Ocean Isle, Topsail Beach - all very low key beautiful beaches. My inlaws have a house on the NC coast and since it's close to us we're there most weekend in the summer, but I've met tons of people from Ohio that are vacationing there.

Answer by missanc at 1:58 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• I found the greatest, and fairly cheap vacation last year. We went to pittsburgh, and stayed at a KOA campground. Now I know, you are saying, I wouldn't camp if my life depended on it! However, they have cabins. There is a pool, playground, a pillow bouncer, and they have organized activities on the weekends. I am a single mom with two kids and we will do another camping vacation this summer. Good luck!
    parajumper3

Answer by parajumper3 at 2:47 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• I hope that you get the chance to go to Hawaii such an amazing place for any age!! good luck take your mom for extra help!!
    ChanQ

Answer by ChanQ at 3:06 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• i think you should try it this year but first i would sit down with your family and ask them if we would take a vacation this year where would you want to go and go from there but if iwas you i would pick aplace where the whole family can enjoy and keep your kids occupied the whole time that you are on vacation like disney world the beach, aqurium places like that
    tammy372011

Answer by tammy372011 at 3:50 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• We spend at least a week at the coast every summer. This summer we are going to Yellowstone for a family reunion.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 9:10 PM on Jan. 17, 2011