my daughter had the flu we all had it my husband and i are over it my daughter is over it

but she still has the cough it's been two weeks now i took her to the doctor they gave her something for it and they told me to use delsym for her cough
my ? is how long does a cough last in kids my daughter is three almost 4 yrs old

nakita72

Asked by nakita72 at 1:35 PM on Jan. 17, 2011 in Kids' Health

• for the length of the cough it really depends on what is causing it...It could be lingering from being sick, from built up mucos, dry air, allergies, asthma...there are a million things that could be causing it but you can do other things along with the cough syrup to help soothe it. Use a cool mist humidifier in her room, use Vicks vaporub (we still use the baby kind because it doesnt smell as bad) on her feet with socks over them, elevate her bed by putting a couple of pillows or a large rolled blanket under the mattress so her head is higher. A cough can be helpful to in getting rid of mucos and congestion in the chest so as long as she isnt coughing so much its hurting or she is throwing up you should let her cough some throughout the day and then use the medicine to help her sleep at night. If she gets into a coughing fit you can also turn the shower on hot and close the bathroom door to make it steamy,the moist air helps
    foxracing43701

Answer by foxracing43701 at 2:13 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• I can only go on our experienece. We had the cough in our house for almost 2 months before it finally dwindled away. We all had the virus and we all had the duration of the cough.
    zebbiebug

Answer by zebbiebug at 2:13 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• the cough seems to be the last to go!
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 10:06 PM on May. 27, 2011