how do you know when?

My son will be 2 in March. My husband is a Marine and has a very demanding job but we are thinking of having another child. Finances are not a factor, its just being nervous about having to be in a sense, a single parent at times. My son is very social and a great boy and would make a great big brother. My husband and I are in agreement to have another but...I'm extremely nervous!!! How did you know it was time to try for another baby? How old were your kids?

CassiRae3

Asked by CassiRae3 at 1:42 PM on Jan. 17, 2011 in General Parenting

• Just the fact that you are thinking about having another child and have thought this through in so many areas is wonderful! Being a "single parent" with your husband working so much can be difficult as I'm sure you know. It sounds like you've been a great mom and have helped your son become a social and happy little boy. He does sound like he'll be a wonderful big brother! As he is getting older you can see different areas that he's becoming more independent in. This just increases with age! It sounds like you'd really love another child but are feeling anxious about it. Yes it can become hectic at times especially when you are alone but the rewards of another child definitely outweigh those hectic times! Since your son is two now, you can see that his ability to understand and wait a bit for things in increasing. This will be a huge help when a new baby arrives. Look at all you've done as a parent so far!
    AlisonAstair

Answer by AlisonAstair at 2:33 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• My kids are 20 months apart. I don't think there is a magic time to have more kids. It is right when you and your husband decide the time is right. There are always going to be reasons why now isn't the perfect time. There is no perfect time.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 1:47 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• I would say as long as you financial secure and DH isn't going to be deployed anytime soon that you go for it whenever it feels right. If it doesn't feel right then wait.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 2:02 PM on Jan. 17, 2011