School Dress Code- I'm pissed!! (picture)

My daughter is 6 and she started to a new school today. She is a new kid and she didn't know anybody so her day so difficult as it was.. Then she was sent at the Principal's office because her clothes were not appropriate for the school.

I have read the school hand book 5 times today. The only rules there are about the students' clothing are

1. no shorts or skirts that are shorter than the child's arm length

2. no showing belly buttons

So I got a call in the middle of the day and got a lecture about my daughter's clothes. They said it was too many colors for one student, distracting for the class and inappropriate school clothing in general. This picture was taken right after she got home:

Do you think this is inappropriate clothing for a 6-yr-old?

She goes to a standard public school.

mygirlpaige

Asked by mygirlpaige at 1:46 PM on Jan. 17, 2011 in General Parenting

• No, I do not see anything wrong with the outfit. It is trendy and that might be what they are objecting to. But as a public school without uniforms, I do not believe they should be. The damage they have done to your daughter has already occurred on her first day. That in itself is reason that they should not have sent her to the principal. If they had a problem she should not have been brought into it. I would immediately email the school superintendent and the members of the school board and request a meeting for tomorrow. Ask the principal for specifics. Stay calm. Help your daughter to feel confident and fit in. By all means do not discuss this in front of her. She has enough on her plate without carrying this adult problem. Let us know what happens. I hope we are some support. But remember to not be overly emotional in your meetings and your communications.

tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 2:10 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• No I think its a cute outfit. Id call the super intendant and ask them what their policy is and why she was sent home. Some times principles think they are Gods of their schools.

Answer by gemgem at 1:47 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• I think she looks precious. I would take this picture to a school board meeting and demand to know what their problem is. If they don't have anything spelled out in their handbook about bright colors, then too bad for them.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 1:49 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• There NOTHING wrong with that according to the dress code... I would request a meeting with the superintendent and the principal ASAP!!! And bring that pic or your child in that out fit. That's NUTS!!!! (oh and I work in a HS... you should see what those kids wear, even while meeting the dress code!!)

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 1:51 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• That's nuts! That outfit rocks!

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 1:48 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• My kids like bright colorful clothing so I don't see where the problem is.  It's not like she's wearing booty showing shorts or anything.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 1:48 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• I dont think that there is anything wrong with what she is wearing unless your school has a rule about wearing shorts after a certain time of year because of weather and if that were the case they should have told you so you could bring her a pair of jeans...but from the picture you still have green grass...where most people have snow...lol
    foxracing43701

Answer by foxracing43701 at 1:51 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• I don't see anything inappropriate about her outfit for ANY school. Unless they think it's somehow "distracting"..but I don't think it is.
    -AJ

Answer by -AJ at 1:48 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• I would have told them to kiss my ass....they are just being jerks.
    LuvMyMedic3ID

Answer by LuvMyMedic3ID at 1:50 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• I don't understand it at all, they should also ring you first not embarrass your child by sending her to the principals office. By the way I love the outfit!
    leah_rai

Answer by leah_rai at 1:51 PM on Jan. 17, 2011