Do you celebrate MLK Jr Day

or is it just another day that the banks and the post office is closed? For me, it's just another day, but with the inconvenience of not being able to do the things I need to.  Several holidays fall into this category for me - President's Day, Labor Day, Memorial Day...

scout_mom

Asked by scout_mom at 2:14 PM on Jan. 17, 2011 in Holidays

• How would you actually celebrate this?
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 2:15 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• I don't have a clue - so I'm wondering why it's even considered a "holiday". It seems pretty pointless to me.
    scout_mom

Comment by scout_mom (original poster) at 2:18 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• I actually have to work. I know some people that actually do stuff to celebrate it, but I don't know what.
    Dalimonster

Answer by Dalimonster at 2:19 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• I appreciate his contribution to society very, very much. However I am waiting on some pretty important mail/paperwork regarding my home oxygen and health insurance stuff so it's a real bummer to have no mail. I suspect my 6y/o will come home with a MLK coloring page. I think that's the extent of celebrating in my house
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 2:38 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• Well Im at work.. lol..
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 3:35 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• I live in Memphis. I took my kids to the Lorraine Motel this morning and we had a talk about what this man's life meant and continues to mean today. Sometimes it's hard to see that much of a difference was made here in Memphis...it's still the most segregated/racially explosive city I"VE ever lived in, but I think that makes it all the more important to teach my children that this is more than just a day they get out of school and we are inconvenienced with no postal service or banking.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 3:37 PM on Jan. 17, 2011