water - weight gain

Ok ... help me figure this out! I committed to switching from diet soda and coffee to water, and I'm drinking a LOT of water now (well, for the past few days about 125oz/day). I feel good, but the scale says that I've gained 4 or 5 pounds! I have changed nothing with eating except cutting out sweets. Is it normal for there to be an initial water retention period, before your body knows how to process all this healthy water going into me?! So discouraged and wanting to brew a pot of coffee and give up!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:18 PM on Jan. 17, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• Coffee is a diuretic. After a few days, things will go back to normal.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 2:19 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• It might be normal. Your body is still trying to get rid of the sugars from the pop and other sweets. I have horrible water retention problems because I don't drink enough. I would give it another week and see what happens. If you keep going up, give the doc a call. Just cutting sweets and pop and adding water won't make you lose much weight though.
    alyssasmom11007

Answer by alyssasmom11007 at 2:20 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• It will take a bit for the no pop & coffee to kick in and your body to actually work better. I will say this, when I first quit, I felt better right away and then I felt like poo for a week or so too. After that I felt better and then the water started to kick in and began to lose weight.
    Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 10:20 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• It is normal for the weight to fluctuate.
    cleanaturalady

Answer by cleanaturalady at 10:20 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• it is normal, just keep on drinking water and enjoy =-D
    sodapple

Answer by sodapple at 11:27 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• Yeah it takes a few days.
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 9:04 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• Could besome water retention. In addition if you areworking out it could be asign you are gaining muscle mass vs. fat.
    ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 2:55 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• Yup, it's normal...your body will "catch" up =) But remember, don't OVERLOAD on water either....there's such a thing as too much water. 64-90 oz a day is good....more than that (unless vigorously exercising) and you can knock your electrolytes out of whack!
    mainemusicmaker

Answer by mainemusicmaker at 10:17 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• normal!
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 8:54 PM on Jan. 19, 2011