gaining wt

Is it normal to gain weight in the first trimeter of pregnancy, I told my Dr I gained 4 lbs and her response caught me off guard. She said that is all you the baby weighs nothing yet. I thought that I was doing pretty good what are your thoughts and personal wt gain experiences . I only weight 114 and now weigh 118

ChanQ

Asked by ChanQ at 2:18 PM on Jan. 17, 2011 in Pregnancy

• You gained 4 pounds for the entire first trimester, or one month? That's about normal for the first three months combined. It's not till the second half of pregnancy that you really start putting on weight. The last trimester is usually about a pound a week, the first is just increased fluids like blood and amniotic fluid, like a PP said, which does add weight, but no more than a few pounds.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 2:53 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• You are probably giving into your cravings. You need to keep track of what you are eating. Some people gain water weight too. but she is right, baby weight nothing. I know when I got pregnant I said "heck with dieting, I wanna eat whatever I want" I'm sure you are not doing that or you wouldn't be asking. :-)
    Just keep track of what you eat and continue to exercise moderately and you'll be fine.
    Dalimonster

Answer by Dalimonster at 2:22 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• I am 4 weeks pregnant and i havent gained a pound i still weigh 126 in the first trimester your only suppose to gain 5 pounds and the first trimester is usually from 1 -12 weeks so you have gained alot of weigh you need to limit your food take in and your salt trust me i learned alot with my first pregnancy i weighed 120 and when i was in labor i weighed 182 cus i ate so much through out my whole pregnancy i ate nothing but junk so you really really have to watch what you eat like dalimonster said dont give into your cravings cus thats what messes you up bad .Good Luck .
    alexia_09

Answer by alexia_09 at 2:34 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• Well, your OB was telling the truth when she said that the weight was all you, but that was not a very nice way to put it. That said, you didn't mention how tall you are or your general frame size. 114 is not heavy and if you were generally not at a reasonable weight for your height/frame, then you will need to gain more weight than is normally recommended for women who are average or even over-weight.

Don't stress over it, just be sure to eat as healthily as you can. Congratulations on your pregnancy!!
    Branwen70

Answer by Branwen70 at 7:18 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• Your blood volume is increasing, your uterus is growing and you're developing amniotic fluid. All of that requires *something* to be added to your body --unless you had something hanging around on your body that was waiting to be transformed into those things...

Oh, and btw: your doctor is an idiot.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 2:30 PM on Jan. 17, 2011