Has anyone read....Tiger Mother by Amy Chua?

I have to get the book.
Right now I am hearing so much controversy, but have not heard from anyone who actually read it.

tootoobusy

Asked by tootoobusy at 2:44 PM on Jan. 17, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• I'm curious ... I will probably put it on hold at the library. Won't be paying for it though.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 3:28 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• I won't sit through another description of her torturing her child, so unless there is some disclaimer on the book that clearly states that is the ONLY instance, I won't be reading it. Reading her justification for her abusing that child at the piano... well, as a friend pointed out: if the title of that books was Why [insert racial/group label] Marriages are Superior and then went on to justify spousal abuse of that kind, it would never have found a publisher in the Western world.

If it's not okay to do to adults, how can it possibly be okay to do to children?

Two blog posts on the subject, here: http://lindaclement.blogspot.com/2011/01/chinese-versus-western-really.html and http://lindaclement.blogspot.com/2011/01/further-to-chinese-vs-western-mothering.html
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 2:52 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• I've read excerpts I found online. No way will I give her the royalties by purchasing the book for what she has done to her child.

LindaClement: From what I have read, the piano incident was not the only one.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 2:54 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• I read the WSJ article- that was enough for me- not my type of Mother, I found so little of value to me in her thoughts- some of it I found down right abusive.
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 3:45 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• nope
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 6:37 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• I heard about this on Good Morning America
    girliemom0406

Answer by girliemom0406 at 12:47 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• Just heard about it from a friend that is a child therapist. Doesn't sound worth my time!
    2boyz2pray4

Answer by 2boyz2pray4 at 12:28 PM on Jan. 19, 2011