Help! Major sleeping issue..

My 6 week old will only sleep in bed with us. I have tried getting her to sleep in a pack and play and a crib and she just will not do it. Now she will nap in either okay and sometimes I can get her into the crib for the first part of her night sleep but once she wakes up, she will not go back into either, even when she's fully out of it. Anyone know a good way to help convert her to sleeping properly in the crib?

Anna-Chubaby

Asked by Anna-Chubaby at 2:49 PM on Jan. 17, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My daughter wouldn't sleep in her crib or play pen for the first 6 months. She just refused to do it.

If you have a swing, I recommend putting her in that and turning it on. =). That is the ONLY place my daughter would sleep until she started sleeping through the night.
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 2:53 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• do u swaddle her? sometimes the crib is just so big they dont feel safe!! i would swaddle her at night and see if that works! good luck!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 3:50 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• lol... that's not a major sleeping issue, that's a normal newborn. That's how most of them are. They aren't designed to sleep alone, so getting them to can be rather difficult.

So, my advice is to continue what you're doing. Do your bedtime routine and put her to bed in her crib, then when she wakes up bring her to your bed. She'll outgrow the need, but at this point in time she NEEDS to be close to you to feel secure. That's a good thing. There's nothing "proper" or "correct" about crib sleeping, it's totally a social construct. Babies were made to sleep with their mothers. Your baby has no idea that she's "supposed" to sleep in a crib, she's an instinctive being and that instinct is telling her to stick close to you because you will keep her safe.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 3:51 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• Thanks Leanne..that does make me feel better. My daughter was in teh NICU for the first 5 days of her life so that might have contributed to it too.
    Anna-Chubaby

Comment by Anna-Chubaby (original poster) at 4:50 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• Smart kid.

Babies who share sleep with their parents have parents who sleep better, a much lower incidence of SIDS and grow more appropriately for their ages. They grow up with a more secure attachment to their families, which lowers crime rates, suicide rates and drug/alcohol addiction rates.

Don't share sleep with a baby if you're drugged or drunk. Otherwise, it's the safest place a baby can be.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 7:03 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• I would try swaddling, My son loved to be swaddled. It gives them a sense of security! Good luck
    ErinT

Answer by ErinT at 2:00 AM on Jan. 18, 2011