what is the proper etiquette for a winter formal?

tweenmom

Asked by tweenmom at 2:49 PM on Jan. 17, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• Are you asking as far as who pays etc? If you expand your question as to what you are trying to figure out I am sure some people would be able to help you!
    Charis76

Answer by Charis76 at 3:04 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• In what context? Etiquette is basically avoiding embarrassing yourself or others --in conversation, with bodily functions, or the treatment of others...
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 3:05 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• I have found, from being on this site, that it varies greatly from region to region.

Im in so. cal... and I can not speak for all of so cal but in our school district the winter formal is 9-12 graders, girl ask boy.  The girls think of creative ways to ask the boy.  The girl buys her own dress, shoes, etc.  The boy rents a tux.  The tickets are per person with each child buying their own ticket.  The cost of the limo or party bus is per person with each paying their own share.  Dinner is served at the party.  The girl buys a boutonniere and the boy buys a corsage.

Anonymous

• Oh... and it is perfectly accpetable to go stag.
    Anonymous

• You can never go wrong with a little black dress and pearls. Timeless.
    wellnessgirl

Answer by wellnessgirl at 3:49 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• Thank you all for your input. I was asking about what is the proper ettiquette for who pays for what at a formal. My daughter is 15 years old freshman in a high school in Manteca, CA. She was asked by the boy. My understanding was that the boy pays for the tickets, and her corsage. My daughter was going to pay for half the pictures since both want them, they want to go to dinner before so I agreed to pay dutch. He is not going to wear a tux so does a boutinarre need to be purchased? I believe he will be in a white shirts and tie with black slacks. But he is now saying he saying he doesn't think he needs to pay for the tickets. She is now fighting with this boy and his family doesn't or can't afford to help pay. Another boy has offered to take her and pay for everything. What would you do as a parent of a daughter at her first real formal in H.S. with a boy that can't provide her with a clear answer. Dance is in 2 wks.
    tweenmom

Comment by tweenmom (original poster) at 4:51 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• I would say it depends on your DD if she really likes the boy that can't afford to pay for the norm and if you can afford it I would just pony up the money.
    Charis76

Answer by Charis76 at 5:41 PM on Jan. 17, 2011