Stupid health vent....

I decided not to put icy hot on my DD's back because it is her spinal cord area that was hurting, so I gave her an aleve instead; which has worked.
But my friend told me I was not thinking because it is ok to put icy hot on the back.
I think on the spinal cord is a different thing though.

WOuld icy hot have effected her spinal cord negatively?

idaspida

Asked by idaspida at 2:51 PM on Jan. 17, 2011 in Health

• My son has scoliosis and I have used icy hot on his back before. Try tiger balm instead, it's all natural. How bad is her scoliosis? Does she wear a back brace? Yoga and physical therapy help, as do alternating between cold/hot packs. And have you tried a chiropractor or massage therapy? They work really well too. My niece no longer has scoliosis after going to a chiropractor. I couldn't afford it for my son anymore, our insurance wouldn't cover it. Hope this helps. Good Luck! :)
    sarchasmicangel

Answer by sarchasmicangel at 3:03 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• How accessible do you think a spinal cord is? The spinal cord is fully protected, within bones and discs and skin... it's deep under the skin on her back (unless she has neural tube defect)...
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 2:54 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• U can call a pharmacy and ask the pharmacist. They r very helpful.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 2:54 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• Better to be safe than sorry. Her doctor would give you the best advice.
    Simplicity3

Answer by Simplicity3 at 2:57 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• You could put it on her back if she has scoliosis.....It would not be on the spinal cord....that is deep into her spine and not on her skin. Although icy hot would not help with that....Icy hot is used for muscles and that wouldnt help with her spine hurting from scoliosis. She just needs to keep taking advil or go to the doctor and see about getting something for the pain.
    Anonymous

• She has scoliosis
    idaspida

Comment by idaspida (original poster) at 2:55 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• Aleve helps. My friend suggested icy hot, so I was wondering. But thanks anon. Plus her doctor is not open today, but I have left a message.
    idaspida

Comment by idaspida (original poster) at 3:03 PM on Jan. 17, 2011