How are your kids/step kids roomed?

We have a big blended family - I call us the modern day Brady Bunch. I have 3 kids that are with us 24/7 and my fiance has 3 that we have 3 days a week. The ages are DS 7 years, SS 5 years, DD 3 years, SD 3 years, DD 21 months, and SS 8 months. Right now we are in a 3 BR home, my fiance and I share a room and the 8 month old sleeps in our room when he is here. The 3 girls share a room and the 2 older boys share a room. We are moving soon, hopefully to a bigger house, and my idea is to have the two oldest boys share a room, the two 3 year old girls share a room and the two youngest share a room. I figure they are still babies and it doesn't it hurt to have a boy and girl together so young. We don't have a house yet, so we might even have more rooms, but do you think that this is expectable grouping? I don't want it to seem like I'm giving my kids their own rooms, just for the step siblings to invade the space on the weekends. They do all get along really well, so I'm not concerned with fighting or anything. My son does occasionally need his space- due to his ADHD and sensory processing disorder he gets overwhelmed sometimes and just has to have a cool down time. I want it to be as fair as possible for each of them with space provided.

kicknscreamn222

Asked by kicknscreamn222 at 3:02 PM on Jan. 17, 2011 in General Parenting

• sounds good to me. & ur little guy counts on u to protect him, so definatley provide him with any extra space he needs . no one should have a problem with that. if the others had any special needs of any sort i know youd do the same for them. my little guy has adhd also
    hellokitty1978

Answer by hellokitty1978 at 3:05 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• I think that sounds fine. I have 3 kids from my first marriage and then 2 kids with my husband (he didn't have any when we married), but my 3 older ones live with us except for every other weekend. They all have their own rooms now, but my then 8 year old daughter shared a room with her then 9 year old brother for about 6 months when our youngest was born before we finished off our 3rd floor. I would have a separate toy box, closet, or some place that they can put their own stuff where it won't be messed with by the person they are sharing with - not quite so important at their age(s), but it will become more important when they get a little older.

Answer by missanc at 3:06 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• I live in a 4 bdrm house and we only have 2 kids so each boy gets his own room. but when my step son stays with his mom, I have no idea how they do it, they have a 4 bdrm house, 6 daughters with one on the way, and always 3 adults and sometimes another grown male child.
    TXColter

Answer by TXColter at 3:10 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• I personally feel you should make a girls room and a boys room separately. It will probably work out better in the long haul when everyone gets older anyway. Or try to think of separate sleeping rooms and a common space room where all the kids could generally hang out. Of course all the children want to feel included when they are there, but your'e not doing anything wrong. Your kids are there most of the time, and since they are only visiting on the weekends, you could make sure they at least have a real space for their belongings like a dresser, or a section in the room. They are little now, so they don't need much. A corner with a little night stand and dresser would work out fine, you could also invest in play tents, most young kids love that! Or try a futon in the room that doubles as a bed when they come over.
    calatres

Answer by calatres at 3:51 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• I think the coed bedrooms are great right now. Then when they get older girls have a room and boys have a room. Right now my husband and i have a room, my three year old has a room, 1 year old has a room, and my step daughter has a room ( we get her every other weekend and during holidays and summer). We are planning one more baby way down the road and when that happens I will let them pick who wants to share a room. I would like them to share a room sooner so a guest room could be in place for my mother, who lives far away...but I'm not taking my step daughters room. She doesn't have much of a room at her house and I like her to feel appreciated and safe at our house. She is 8. We will be trying for custody soon as well...so I want her to have a room all to herself. She too has add. And i know a 3 and 1 year old sister can get on her nerves sometimes. So her room is her space and chill zone.
    MKSers

Answer by MKSers at 8:18 PM on Jan. 17, 2011