Have you ever had to deal with CPS?

My 7 yr old dd came home from visitation yesterday and said she wanted to talk to me about something. I asked her what it was and she said her grandmother, that supervises these visits every other weekend asked how we treated her. She said she was fine and her grandmother told her that if she says she is abused my dd could come live with her. She told dd she is calling the police and when they come arrest me she will be there to take her home with her. I know that this is an absolute lie but my question is what will they do if she does call? My mom said because there is no evidence of abuse at all that they won't do anything but I would just like to know for sure. I am ready to abuse this lady for saying this nonsense to my child.

treynlisa

Asked by treynlisa at 3:04 PM on Jan. 17, 2011 in General Parenting

• I have had them called on me (maliciously) 4 times. Each time, they came to my home and looked at everything and talked to my children. They then dropped the case. If there is no abuse going on you should be good. It is awful that people do this!
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 3:07 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• WOW! What nerve that lady has! There is nothing they can do right away, if they have no evidence, then they will not arrest you. That's nonsense of that woman. Is the grandmother, her father's side of her family? I'm guessing so.....I would absolutely, without a shadow of a doubt, find someone else to supervise those visits!!! CPS MIGHT investigate, but again, no evidence, no bruising, no physical or mental evidence on your dd, don't sweat that woman! She's the one abusing that little girl, mentally!
    knicole0708

Answer by knicole0708 at 3:09 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• No..and unless someone makes a false report, I won't have to. Here's a bump!
    -AJ

Answer by -AJ at 3:09 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• I will need a lawyer to change the visitation order in place and will be able to afford one in May thank God! I also want to know if I can sue her if she does try to claim I have abused my kids.
    treynlisa

Comment by treynlisa (original poster) at 3:09 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• My ex called them on me twice. They HAVE to investigate - and when my ex called them on my husband for alleged sexual abuse the kids had to have a medical exam and my husband got called down to the police station for a lie detector test. But as long as there isn't any abuse, then it will be dropped. They will not just arrest you on the spot.

Answer by missanc at 3:10 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• CPS came to my house because my son disclosed abuse by his father to his teacher (were divorced), Even though he didnt say anything about me or my husband they still investigated our home to make sure we werent involved. All they did was ask some questions, questioned my son, my other kids, some family we gave names of to back up what we told them, and talked to the teacher who made the complaint. They didnt even do anything to his dad who was living with a girl as it turns out who was the abuser. If you have nothing to hide you should be alright. I would talk to a lawyer though and file contempt of court charges. I am pretty sure if you have supervised visits it supposed to be in your childs best interest and grandma is violating that. It can be emotionally damaging for a child to hear bad mouthing of their parent.

Answer by gemgem at 3:11 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• i would do what i need to do & talk to someone & let it be known someone is saying these things to your child. then if she pulls some crap, ur side will b documented already. & your child should not have to be talked to in this way.
    hellokitty1978

Answer by hellokitty1978 at 3:12 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• She is only trying to scare your DD. if she called and there was nothing wrong then they would just tell you sorry for the inconvenience and leave. If she was going to call then she would have already. I wouldn't worry about it though. If you are doing nothing wrong then there is nothing that they can do to you. I never had to deal with them but my best friend did. She had then called on her because she left her DS at the hospital after he was born because she had 2 other little ones to take care of and a nurse called and said she neglected her child....even though she talked to the dr about it to see if it was ok for her to go home and take care of her other kids and come back in the morning. She could not be left alone with the kids  things were resolved so her DH had to take off work but after 3 days it was all done and over with and they cleared the record about anything even happening.

Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 3:12 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• If she is telling your children these things, then you should bring it to CPS attention immediately so they can take away grandmother's supervision duties. Sounds like you can claim that grandma's actions are emotionally abusive to DD. In response to, "what will they do if she does call?", they will send a SW'er to your home to make an assessment. If the SW'er deems your home to be unfit or if he/she suspects any kind of abuse, they will open an investigation. I've worked side-by-side with CPS for over a decade. If you are doing nothing wrong, you have nothing to worry about....except getting grandma over to the sidelines!
    kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 3:14 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• DD has been talking to a therapist for over a year because of other issues with this woman and my ex. I am glad of this now because she obviously knows nothing has been going on with her.
    treynlisa

Comment by treynlisa (original poster) at 3:14 PM on Jan. 17, 2011