A question for all NON-American members of this site...

Do you feel that the extremely polarized divisions you see on this site, i.e. Liberals vs Conservatives, Left vs Right, Obama supporters vs Palin/Tea Party supporters, etc, has greatly coloured your perception of Americans and causes you concern for the future of this once promising nation? Do you feel more positive about Americans, or less, after spending time on this site?

For me, it's both. I have made some incredible friends and feel a great sense of relief having gotten to know some of the rational, intelligent and well-spoken women on here who happen to be American. On the other hand, I also find it quite frightening listening to the rhetoric spewing from some folks. One of the responsibilities that comes from listening to the media, is actually thinking, questioning and accessing varied sources - not buying lock, stock and barrel biased agendas.

LisaLulu

Asked by LisaLulu at 3:04 PM on Jan. 17, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• One of the responsibilities that comes from listening to the media, is actually thinking, questioning and accessing varied sources - not buying lock, stock and barrel biased agendas.

As an American, I can understand how one could come to this conclusion. This is a deeply divided country and many people believe their POV is the only one with any validity. In terms of the quote above, I couldn't agree more.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 3:29 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• Please do not judge all Americans based on a few from one website. This is a very diverse country. If any country can rise above its difficulties, it's this one. Have faith.
    Anonymous

• Remember this particular forum is concentrated on politics but, IMO, very few Americans take a particular interest in this subject. The participants who you see here (especially the very active), are an exception. Further, some here might represent an extreme example (either rt or lft) of the American political POV. In my everyday life, among friends, family and colleagues, most folks are quite moderate, and are not interested in either of the extremes. Others might have differing opinions or socialize in circles that are decidedly left or right, but again I do not believe those folks represent your average American.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 4:50 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• I want to live where people are actually allowed to feel something.

And to say what they feel.

That's all.
    mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 3:19 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• "Biased agendas" fall on BOTH sides!

As far as politics goes, I feel the greatest divide lies in the differences in ages and collective life experience that each person has. We all see things from our exposure to the world.

For example, someone born and raised in a socialist country is going to tend to side with what they know, love and believe to be true. when viewing American politics; as opposed to the person with a long legacy of American ancestors all of whom were born and raised in America and who has only known, loved and believed in certain freedoms, and hates to see it all going to pot.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 3:52 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• I just ask that not everyone judge Americans by the behavior here.
    zebbiebug

Answer by zebbiebug at 3:59 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• No, I don't judge Americans or America itself based on this site, or many people from everyday life for that matter. There are mislead people everywhere, but there's good people as well. What I don't like is that a lot of Americans look down on other countries. I was born in Mexico, I can tell you that it's people are genuine, loving people and my country is among the most beautiful on earth. Yet some Americans seem to think that every Mexican is corrupted and that our country is trash and that's simply not true. Think about this; if you were in Peru(example) and all you ever saw on tv about America were the inner cities and the criminal activity or the obesity rate and the hate crimes, it's very likely that you would think America and it's citizens are trash too. I'm not saying every American is like this but I have seen it a lot. I guess what I'm saying is, don't believe everything the news tells you and hold it to be true
    Raccoon

Answer by Raccoon at 4:39 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• And the other shoe drops. If you don't like Obama's policies, you must be a racist.

How about, if I wanted to live in Canada or England, I'd move there. I don't want your health care. I don't care if they elect the cookie monster president, I still wouldn't like the bill, and I love cookies. And blue.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 5:21 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• The same that goes on in forums all over the internet.From all different countries.
    Anonymous

• Most people in most countries have varying ideas of what their country should/should not be doing. I would not say this is a uniquely American trait.
    Anonymous