Checking work references

I'm thinking that this is a good sign. They don't usually go to the trouble of checking your references unless they want to hire you, right?!

elwalters77

Asked by elwalters77 at 3:06 PM on Jan. 17, 2011 in Money & Work

• I only check references when I am ready to make an offer.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:46 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• Good luck!!! Fingers crossed for you =)
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 5:23 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• If you already had the 1st interview yes its a great sign!
    Charis76

Answer by Charis76 at 3:07 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• When I was a manager I checked references of people I thought would be good hires - but many times I would check the references of several people before I made my final decision. Good luck!!

Answer by missanc at 3:07 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• I have had a phone interview and an in person interview. They plan on letting people know tomorrow.
    elwalters77

Comment by elwalters77 (original poster) at 3:10 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• I say good luck, but don't absolutely get your hopes up. My DH had a phone interview, an in-person interview with the team he was looking to get the job with, an interview with the CIO of the department and they looked into his references. We thought it was a sure thing if they were going through all of that. Then they ended up hiring someone internally. Why the hell go through all the trouble of looking outside the company only to hire someone within?

Totally not trying to discourage you, but we were so pumped for the very same reason and we were devastated when we learned he hadn't gotten the job. Just want you to be prepared that it can go either way.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 3:14 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• Well, this is an internal interview for me. If I don't get it, no biggie. Just means that it wasn't the right job for me and I'll keep looking, like I have been for months. I had 2 interviews last week for 2 different jobs and one coming up this week too.
    elwalters77

Comment by elwalters77 (original poster) at 3:16 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• Good Luck!
    musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 4:50 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• Yes, I would think that's a good sign.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 12:09 PM on Jan. 18, 2011