Any book keepers who can tell me about their job?

I am thinking of going back to school for book keeping. My DH thinks it is a good idea, but we also would like to know of some good schools. I tried University of Pheonix and before I could even get inrolled they weren't too sure on the graduation date. So I would not want to study there.

I did not know which topic to put this under.

idaspida

Asked by idaspida at 3:14 PM on Jan. 17, 2011 in Money & Work

• I have been doing bookkeeping for twenty years; feel free to send me a message with any questions. Currently, I do freelance bookkeeping (among other things).

I will tell you that I have never hired a bookkeeper who did not have a four year degree, or was currently studying for one, from a real college.

Stay away from for-profit schools. They exist, by law, to make money for their owners/shareholders; education is not their priority. When I was in HR, I did not interview candidates from the for-profit schools.

Start with a community college; they will likely have many classes on line and the credits will easily transfer to a state university.

Have a couple of informational interviews with people in your chosen field to help you determine whether or not this is the right career choice for you. Check to see if there are open jobs in this field, too.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:36 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• You don't generally need a 4 year degree to be a bookkeeper. If that's what you want to do you can probably find the appropriate classes at a local business school or community college.

If you want to be an accountant you can take your lower level accounting courses, business courses, and other basic classes at a community or junior college, but you'll want to have an idea about which university you want to attend to complete your degree. In most states it takes 150 credit hours or a master's degree to sit for the CPA exam.

Anonymous

• Thank you. I will PM you, but right now I have to get dinner cooked. Thanks for the post.
    idaspida

Comment by idaspida (original poster) at 10:42 PM on Jan. 17, 2011