A friend of mine who is JW, said to me recently " your church is lying to you. It's all lies" When I asked specifically what those lies were she did not answer.

Is there anyone here of JW faith that can tell me just what it is that my Christian church is lying to me about? Is it the Trinity? Is it the destruction of Earth? Because I really have no idea just what it is that she is referencing to.

jewjewbee

Asked by jewjewbee at 3:19 PM on Jan. 17, 2011 in Religious Debate

• As a former JW, I know one of the "lies" told in Church is the way in which Christ was crucified. We (Christians) say Cross, they say a torture stake which is just a pole. Really, it's a non-issue but one of their talking points to get you to doubt. The whole Christmas, birthday and other holidays not being found in the Bible is another talking point. "If your Church is involved in these non-biblical occasions, then it must be askew." If it's all about what's found in the Bible and what's not, then their practice of having to participate as a "publisher" (one who goes door to door) to become a candidate for baptism is found NO WHERE in the Bible. We are told to simply believe and be baptized.
    luvnunity

Answer by luvnunity at 4:16 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• I don't know what she's referring to, but if she had nothing to back it up with, I'd say I wouldn't spend another moment thinking about it.
    amybaby_19

Answer by amybaby_19 at 3:20 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• I had a lot of family and friends that were JW. I used to love listening to them just ramble on and on. When someone cannot backup what they are saying, like answering your question, they don't really deserve to get your attention.
    Dalimonster

Answer by Dalimonster at 3:21 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• That'd be like telling a cabbie he was going the wrong way, but not giving an address.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 3:30 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• I have a cousin who is JW and also I grew up with a lot of JWs. They pretty much think everything is a lie. The nature of God, the nature of man. The Bible. Prophets. Not that they don't believe in those things but that what Christians believe about God, man, scripture, prophets, etc. is false. It's kind of tough to explain, especially without a full understanding, but I wouldn't let it bother me if I were you. Your friend is obviously insufficiently educated on her own "beliefs."
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 3:28 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• Ask any Christian of a different denomination than you and they will tell you the same thing.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 4:59 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• What is important is that you search the word of God yourself and seek the truth therein. My sensing is this... when someone tells you that your church is all lies there is an insecurity issue going on and the fact that she could not answer your question and back up what she says leads me to think that she is just believing what others say rather than researching the bible herself.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 6:11 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• If all I said was.."Well, it's just the way it is" then I wouldn't be very credible. I back up all I believe with scripture..and with 2 or more. If I don't know, I am honest and look it up or ask others more well versed to get the answer. I don't simply avoid. You can do the research easily enough yourself. You can go to their website and there are plenty more sites to get info. The Holy Spirit will guide you into all truth and understanding :)
    kittieashy

Answer by kittieashy at 6:19 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• I don't think that her being a JW is the issue at all; just about every church will tell you that their way is the only way - that everyone else is wrong (lying). Anyone who makes a statement like that without something to back it up is simply regurgitating what they've heard, they don't have the knowledge to back what they are saying up. Ignore her!!
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 7:25 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• have you tried talking to her. I've never met a JW that wouldnt answer a question, no offense but they are always ready to talk. One of my friends is a JW and i've never heard her say that anyone outside her religion is lying, she may not agree with them but she's never said those words. She's a really sweet girl and her family is great too. just talk to your friend and then tell her that youre not interested.
    I know that they dont believe in the trinity because in the bible theres references to Jesus praying to his Father and like when he was baptized and God's voice was heard saying that this is my Son, so i can see why they dont believe in the trinity, not sure about everything else though.
    gummybearmomma

Answer by gummybearmomma at 9:28 AM on Jan. 18, 2011