does anyone know anything about bankruptcy and receiving public assistance?

we have a nice house and a nice truck ($25,000) but we have filed for bankruptcy. my husband's wages are garnished by the court for the bankruptcy, so as a family of 4 we are living off of $200 a week, I'm on my mom's computer, we no longer have cell phones or even a land line. Should we apply for PA? Or do we own too much?

TXColter

Asked by TXColter at 3:35 PM on Jan. 17, 2011 in Money & Work

• Check with job and family services.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 12:05 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• They base your income on the gross amount so they dont include that his check gets garnished.
    I dont know how they do that if you own too much or not.
    It never hurts to apply, I would just go ahead and fill out an application and find out if you can get approved for it.
    L0vingMy3Girls

Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 3:38 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• apply! it cant hurt, & im pretty sure its more about what u have coming in as far as income. not what u have already? apply & u will get approved or denied.
    hellokitty1978

Answer by hellokitty1978 at 3:37 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• No one will be able to tell you if you qualify but the PA office. THe worst the PA office can say is NO. Apply and see what happens.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 3:37 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• thanks, our lights were turned off this morning, I had a job but got fired, and I was literally only making $200 a month working full time, after I paid childcare..... this having no education sucks =(
    TXColter

Comment by TXColter (original poster) at 3:39 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• You can always try....what im wondering about is why are his wages garnished if he filed for bankruptcy....But i would try the worst that could happen is they tell you that you do not qualify.
    Anonymous

• the United States Bankruptcy court is taking $350 a week from his paycheck so we can keep our house. I guess you have never filed bankruptcy, but this is how it is done..... we had to hire a lawyer and the lawyer sets up the pay schedule.
    TXColter

Comment by TXColter (original poster) at 3:44 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• IDK... Just try.
    SAMNMAYASMOM

Answer by SAMNMAYASMOM at 3:54 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• IMO it's worth it to try. I'm not sure if they'll take the bankruptcy into consideration, but if you're struggling and need help it's worth looking into.
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 5:15 PM on Jan. 17, 2011