How much is enough?

...FOOD that is...

My vow renewal is coming up 12/06/08 and we're expecting WAY more people than I thought we would be... 85 to be exact.

So, how much food is enough for a 2:30 p.m. reception? I know not everyone is going to eat every little thing, but I'm worried about not having enough, not to mention the COST for it all... LOL

Do any of you ladies have some helpful hints?

Thanks so much!

Luvmylilmonkies

Asked by Luvmylilmonkies at 11:25 AM on Nov. 13, 2008 in Entertainment

• What kind of food are you serving?
    AnnHenderson

Answer by AnnHenderson at 11:28 AM on Nov. 13, 2008

• What kinds of foods are you having? If you're going to have finger foods I would allow for at least 2 per person. I know it may be expensive to buy lots of food but I'd rather have too much then not enough. But at the same time I would hate to waste food, too. I'm not much help. lol Sorry! Good luck. Maybe somebody else can help a little better.
    mykidsmommy

Answer by mykidsmommy at 11:29 AM on Nov. 13, 2008

• Do most of it (or all) yourself. Do a buffet kinda thing. A few days before just make a few containers or ziti, hot roast beef (serve with a roll of course), Sausage with gp and onins, and a veggy like green beans. Ask a family member to help. Fill about 3 catering pans of each and you should be good. All of those things are SO easy to make and are NOT time consuming. For apps just get a few veggy and fruit trays. And buy some lettuce and salad fixings and make a couple big bowls. Serve Italian dressing and oil and vinegar. GL! It will all work out :)
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 11:37 AM on Nov. 13, 2008

• if you are doing hors d'eourves, I would have about 6 per person, then add 10%.

teri4lance

Answer by teri4lance at 12:07 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• i would figure at least one pound of food stuffs for each person. you may want to also consider the economy, and the fact some may see this as a free meal for the day. the addage of 10% sounds like a good idea to me.
    JumpingHoops

Answer by JumpingHoops at 1:25 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• Hmmm....I kinda think the opposite. If people are going to be eating at 2:30, it's too early for dinner and too late for lunch, so most will probably be expecting hors d'eourves-y kind of things. Just choose some really yummy things that you can (and will!) eat for leftovers!
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 12:16 AM on Nov. 14, 2008

• Katie~ You and I are on the same wavelength here. I was thinking of really light stuff like a fruit tray, veggie tray, mini pigs in a blanket, cheese tray, nuts, mints, a crockpot of meatballs, and a tray of deviled eggs. My cake is plenty for the adults and I was going to get mini cupcakes for the kids. I can't imagine people thinking they're going to get some huge meal at 2:30. Besides that, it's mostly close family, and they all know that this is a very informal event.
    Luvmylilmonkies

Answer by Luvmylilmonkies at 8:55 AM on Nov. 14, 2008