in regards to another post....

Alot of people showed a "SERIOUS" concern in another post about their child going through early puberty. They talked about bringing their child to the doctor to check hormone levels, and said they cried all night cause their son had a few pubes.

I don't understand the concern. We all go through puberty at some point. Some earlier than others. Am I a bad mom cause think these concerns are silly? Is there some serious reason that I should be concerned if my child starts to get pubes early? Why would it bother you if your child went through puberty early?

usdragonflies

Asked by usdragonflies at 3:45 PM on Jan. 17, 2011 in General Parenting

• it wouldnt bother me.of course its hard to watch your child grow up. but if anyone is truly bothered by it..really, what can u do about it!? nothing u can do. u cant stop it from happening. its a part of life.
    hellokitty1978

Answer by hellokitty1978 at 3:48 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• LOL agreed
    khf22

Answer by khf22 at 3:46 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• It's hard to know your child s growing up..shoot, my Son is 3 1/2 going on 12! Some people take it harder than others, especially if it's sooner than expected. It's just different for everyone.
    -AJ

Answer by -AJ at 3:51 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• As other folks have stated, it depends on how young the child is. I read a news article once about a parent who had some sort of steroid ointment on her skin, and when she handeled her baby, some it transferred to the child. The baby had some sort of pre-mature hair growth. That was really weird. I'm pretty concerned about my DD ingesting hormones and such from non-organic food. I get paranoid that generation after generation our girls are maturing much sooner than the generations of ild. I only give her organic milk, but other foods aren't always organic. In regards to the question, I guess I'd be concerned if DD developed pub. hair under the age of 11. S'just my over active 'momma mode'.
    kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 3:54 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• **ild = old :-)

Okay, a six-year-old? Yes, I'd be very concerned.
    kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 3:56 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• lol....if my kid was like 6 i would be a little conserned but whatever....wouldnt bother me....
    Anonymous

• i agree every body is different
    jesslovesyou08

Answer by jesslovesyou08 at 3:48 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• how early is really the question. I remember my cousin started getting her period at 11. I have heard of girls who has had it at 9. If I had a 7 year old that was getting her period I would be concerned.
    Dalimonster

Answer by Dalimonster at 3:48 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• I guess it depends how early. If my child were very young, then yes I would be concerned. if they were just on the young side of "normal", I wouldn't be concerned. ( I hope that makes sense)
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 3:48 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• Well, early onset of puberty (or precocious puberty) can be a serious concern. It can be physically and emotionally difficult for children to understand and cope with. It can lead to them being ostercized from their peers. It can also be a sign of an underlying health problem, which could result in future fertility problems, cancer...It really CAN be a big deal, and it's pretty insensitive to assume it's no big deal.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 3:50 PM on Jan. 17, 2011