too cool for school. a kindergarten WWYD please

my son is 6 and in kinder. they do a LOT of worksheets most days and somehow over the last 2-3 months he's gotten into the habit of at the top where his name goes writing "Blake I love my Mom" and occasionally little variations like "Blake I love my Mommy" and so on. I actually mentioned to his teacher how adorable I found it about 10 days or so ago and now today all his work sheets are fixed w/ bright red pen NO NO NO stop that. I understand she's trying to get him to obey, conform, etc..... but it worries me that it'll break his spirit. He and I spoke about it just now and he's agreed to conform and do as he's told but my conscience wants me to say something to her. Advise?

hibbingmom

Asked by hibbingmom at 3:48 PM on Jan. 17, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Unfortunalty, he needs to stop. Have him express his love for you somewhere else.
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 3:50 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• My DS would do stuff like this and school, and make decorative letters and stuff like that because he was bored. See if she can let him read a book or something (if he's able) after he finishes his sheets.
    Anonymous

• by all means say something. u have the right to. its sad to say, but my own personal experiences so far (my son is in 4th grade now)..i have had a couple of his teacher that i have found nice, & a couple i didnt care for as much. & only 1 that i love truly, & she changed my sons 4 the better (taught him everything from how to read, & more)..u will have all different personalities & teachers u like, & some u dont care for as much. if u say nothing u will feel bad u didnt speak ur mind in a polite way
    hellokitty1978

Answer by hellokitty1978 at 3:55 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• I would mention it to her, tell her that you have spoken to him about it, but that you are also curious why she didn't say anything to you about it when you brought up how cute you found his little notes on the paper. Let her know you understand her reasoning and why he can't continue forever writing on his papers that he loves his mommy, but also ask her to be gentle about reprimanding him for it. Maybe something happened, like she heard kids making fun of him for it, and she has decided just now it is time to get him to stop.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 3:58 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• When my daughter was 7 and in second grade she took it upon herself to invent a code, and she started writing her name in code on all of her papers. In our case I was able to explain to her that since Mrs. Smith didn't know the code she couldn't read her name.

In your case I think it would be a good idea to talk to your son again and ask him to write his name the normal way to keep his teacher happy. Maybe give him a cool notebook or maybe post-it notes where he can express himself in a non-school way. He sounds a bit like my daughter, and if that is the case his teacher isn't likely to break his spirit. He just needs some guidelines about when it's ok to be creative and when he really just needs to follow the rules. If he's sensitive he might appreciate that it really upsets his teacher when he does it, and maybe he could stop as a special gift to her. GL!

TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 3:59 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• well i think it's great for your son to express his love for you, but on his school work is not the place to do. and i think that it may be better for him if you explain that to him instead of his teacher. buy him a notebook that he can doodle or write "I love Mommy" as much as he wants, he'll understand. but his school work just isn't the place for that. all his teacher is trying to do is prepare him for his years out of kinder.
    nickellmomof2

Answer by nickellmomof2 at 4:03 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• Aww, that makes me sad. I do think it would break his spirit. I really don't see the big deal. If he's not doing it all over his paper than who cares. He's expressingly love for his mother and shouldn't me told to stop. I suppose I am biased since I don't agree with the public school ,mentality. i think it's awfully sweet what he does. Personally, I would ask the teacher what the big deal is.
    buzymamaof3

Answer by buzymamaof3 at 6:29 PM on Jan. 18, 2011