California Superstorm - more of the world is ending news?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_thelookout/20110117/us_yblog_thelookout/scientists-warn-california-could-be-struck-by-winter-superstorm

Scientists warn California could be struck by winter ‘superstorm’

A group of more than 100 scientists and experts say in a new report that California faces the risk of a massive "superstorm" that could flood a quarter of the state's homes and cause $300 billion to $400 billion in damage. Researchers point out that the potential scale of destruction in this storm scenario is four or five times the amount of damage that could be wrought by a major earthquake.

It sounds like the plot of an apocalyptic action movie, but scientists with the U.S. Geological Survey warned federal and state emergency officials that California's geological history shows such "superstorms" have happened in the past, and should be added to the long list of natural disasters to worry about in the Golden State.

The threat of a cataclysmic California storm has been dormant for the past 150 years. Geological Survey director Marcia K. McNutt told the New York Times that a 300-mile stretch of the Central Valley was inundated from 1861-62. The floods were so bad that the state capital had to be moved to San Francisco, and Governor Leland Stanford had to take a rowboat to his own inauguration, the report notes. Even larger storms happened in past centuries, over the dates 212, 440, 603, 1029, 1418, and 1605, according to geological evidence.

The risk is gathering momentum now, scientists say, due to rising temperatures in the atmosphere, which has generally made weather patterns more volatile.

The scientists built a model that showed a storm could last for more than 40 days and dump 10 feet of water on the state. The storm would be goaded on by an "atmospheric river" that would move water "at the same rate as 50 Mississippis discharging water into the Gulf of Mexico," according to the AP. Winds could reach 125 miles per hour, and landslides could compound the damage, the report notes.

Such a superstorm is hypothetical but not improbable, climate researchers warn. "We think this event happens once every 100 or 200 years or so, which puts it in the same category as our big San Andreas earthquakes," Geological Survey scientist Lucy Jones said in a press release

________________________________________________________________________________

There is more that I didn't copy over.  Too bad many people won't read the words hypothetical, could happen etc.

Do you think these kinds of articles just encourage the whole world is ending paranoia?

Charis76

Asked by Charis76 at 4:00 PM on Jan. 17, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I'm in CA. I say bring it on.
    Anonymous

• It's like Y2K all over again, I swear. Panic over nothing. I'll believe it when it happens.
    -AJ

Answer by -AJ at 4:07 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• I think they just had a cool pic they didnt want to go to waste and decided to write a story with it. Maybe theyll make it into a movie.

Answer by gemgem at 4:09 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• Hmmm, I agree with -AJ
    wellnessgirl

Answer by wellnessgirl at 4:10 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• Sounds like a mini plot from The Day After Tomorrow.
    brandyj

Answer by brandyj at 4:17 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• Its happened before so its possibe, but it isnt usually as bad as they say it will be.

and if it happened all those other times, how do they attribute it to rising temps.?

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 4:24 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• People should also prepare for the Yellowstone's Super Volcano that is long over due to pop it's cork. =[

musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 4:28 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• Maybe the prediction already came true but not quite to their hopes. Didn't California just have some horrible floods?
    zebbiebug

Answer by zebbiebug at 4:39 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• I have the feeling that because of the ado about 2012, every natural event that happens is going to be turned into an "omen" foretelling the "end of the world" and it's only going to get worse as the date gets closer.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 4:52 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• No one is guaranteed a certain about of time. You deal with what you're dealt. Worrying about that which you can not control is a waste of the good time that you have been granted.

My chances of being injured/killed in a car accident are measurable, yet I still drive. Many people slip and fall in their shower or bathtub, and I still bathe.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 5:00 PM on Jan. 17, 2011