what can i do?!

my 2 1/2 year old dd is out of control..i have no clue how to handle this. i'm at my wits end. she's getting in the "moods" where she starts throwing stuff at me...it ranges from shoes and blocks, to water bottles and play dough. she never does it to my dh, just to me. i don't know what sets her off to start doing this. how am i supposed to discipline this kind of behavior? nothing has worked with her from the beginning (she's beyond strong willed), so i'm honestly lost to all of it. we've been fortunate enough that she is a very good child, until she gets in her moods. advice? no bashing.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:15 PM on Jan. 17, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Is there something that has changed lately in her normal day to day? New addition? I would have her checked out by a doctor and then possibly a phycologist. Just to make sure that there is nothing wrong. Could be adhd or something else. Good luck
    MamaWolf1981

Answer by MamaWolf1981 at 4:17 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• Have you tried sitting her in her crib or the corner until she calms down.?
    jdbrown21

Answer by jdbrown21 at 4:17 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• Welcome to the terrible 2's! Do u have any idea what sets her off?
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 4:18 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• we moved out of state, and that's when everything started. most of it has gotten better, but this has stuck...and we're pregnant with number 2,..we've been talking to her about it since we found out, and she seems thrilled about having a baby brother/sister. other than those two things, nothing's changed.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:19 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• she's in a big girl bed, and time outs have never worked. we've stuck her in her room until she calmed down, and she just went right back to doing the same thing.

i have no idea what sets her off. she'll be fine one second and going off the next.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:23 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• When she gets like that stay calm and say something like, "Oh, honey, it's really sad you are throwing a fit. You can finish it in your room." Then take her there and leave her until she has calmed down and stays that way for at least 2 minutes. Once she realizes she is going to her room everytime she acts that way she should stop doing it as often, but she will still test it from time to time. I've been basically doing this with my 3 1/2 year old twins for the past two years, and now at the very first sign it's starting I ask them if they need to throw a fit; they usually say no and calm down right away, but there are times they still have to go to their room.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 4:25 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• If she goes "right back to doing the same thing", then take her right back to her room and repeat until it stops no matter how many times you have to do it. At first it may seem like you are doing it non-stop, but at some point she will understand. If she is truly strong-willed it will take more effort on your part, but the results will be worth it. GL!
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 4:30 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• I agree with TweenAndTwinMom!! Also if she throws something at you calmly take her hands, get down to her level, look her in the eye, and say something like "It hurts my feelings when you throw things at me" Then put her in time-out (her room, a chair...just make sure it's consistent). And do exactly what TweenAndTwinMom said about the room. If she gets out without permission put her back in. If it starts up again put her back in. Be firm. Be consistent. Don't give in to the behavior. Also, something that helped us when my dd started acting up after her sister was born (she was 21 months at the time) was that we started giving her as many choices as possible so she would feel in control of some things. "Would you like to wear your coat or carry it?" "What shoes would you like to wear to the store?" "Would you like ____ for lunch or _____?" Worked wonders! Still does (she's 2 1/2)! GL!
    GodsAmiga

Answer by GodsAmiga at 2:34 AM on Jan. 18, 2011