what do u do if your child is a picky eater & doesnt want the meal you prepared?

hellokitty1978

Asked by hellokitty1978 at 4:25 PM on Jan. 17, 2011 in Kids' Health

• I always make sure there is one thing that my child likes to eat or I make a bowl of cereal or a sandwich. I refuse to let a child go hungry just because they don't like something.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 4:26 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• I would not do anything different. I would make the meal and if they choose not to eat it, then they don't get snacks or eat until next meal time
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 4:26 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• a child had never died from missing one meal.

I agree (only) with the part of the first responce that suggests making at least one thing that the child likes ... as long as it is healthy.
    Anonymous

• Mine are given a choice, they can either eat the meal I fix, or they can make their own food (like can of soup, cereal, peanut butter sandwich, frozen tv dinner).
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 4:28 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• She has to take a taste. Unless I know it is something that she definitely does not like or need.
    Then I fix her something else that is simple.
    If it is something she should like, I can usually get her to try and often eat.
    I always try to have at least one or two things that I know she will like.
    That way she may have a meal of just broccoli or just chicken or just mashed potatoes.
    But she should try the others.
    She will almost always eat at least four tastes because afterall she is Four now.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 4:29 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• Well, I know he won't like it when I'm making it, so I make a version for him I know he'll like. If I'm making chicken with some kind of sauce, I'll make his plain. If I'm making pasta with tomato sauce, I'll make his with butter. I can usually squeeze something out for him. If not I throw in some frozen chicken fingers. I did this with my older son and somewhere around 7 he started eating everything. I don't believe in forcing a child to eat something they don't like. I know I wouldn't like that.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 4:30 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• He either doesn't eat or he can have something that I don't really have to fix like cereal, yogurt, or a banana. I have one that's picky like his dad and I leave the choice up to him of whether he wants to eat or not. I don't force him to eat or not to eat. Then, I have two like me that will eat just about anything.
    BUTTERCUP777

Answer by BUTTERCUP777 at 4:35 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• I think there is a difference between a child choosing not to eat the meal and not liking the meal. I do not force my child to eat things I know he doesn't like, but for me, there are times when my son will refuse to eat the meal--even though he usually likes it--just because he doesn't want it that night. If it is something new and he tries it and doesn't like it--I will make him something else. If it is a meal he normally eats and he is just being stubborn, well, then he can leave the table but he will not get anything else until the next meal.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 4:36 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• Mine are 12 and 11 now, so if they don't like what I made, they know where the kitchen is. They're welcome to heat up leftovers or make themselves something else. Generally though, when faced with that option, they'll eat what I cooked! LOL
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 4:36 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• I make it and they either do or do not eat it. I would never make something else for them. We are on a strict food budget and cannot stray from our meal plans. They have never chosen to not eat it so far although I do hear lots of complaining while I am cooking.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 4:49 PM on Jan. 17, 2011