2 yr old in speech therapy?

My son is almost 2 and a half yrs old. He talks alot but its all jibberish. He knows how to say a bunch of words but i can tell hes having a hard time saying th things he wants to stay.. he gets so frustrated.. I know its wrong to "compare" kids but sometime i see other kids his age..[even ones who are an only child, like he is] and notce that his speech is way behind what theirs is. I read on babycenter.com that if your child stutters orsays certain letters wrong.. like 'th' sounding more like a 'D' that you shouldnt be concerned and thats all common and will be corrected over time.. but it said if u child is completely skipping Letters in the word [for example.. "dog" sounds more like "og" or 'pig" sounds more like "pi"] you should tell ur doctor..

Ive mentioned my sons speech to doctors in the past but the second i mention it they brush it off and dont even ask me how many words he knows or anything.. As a mom I know my son isnt autistic.. hes very very bright and understands everything we ask him to do.. and all the words we say to him but i can just tell hes having a hard time getting the correct sounds out to talk back and im begining to think that even if its not CRUCIAL he see a speech therapist i think he could benefit from it greatly.. but heres my question -- how do i get him into it?? how do i find a speech therapist? do i ask the doctor for a recommendation? ive never been down this road so if there are other moms out there in the same boat or have been here and done this.. id greatly appreciate your suggestions, advice and KIND words.. thanks!

kp0469

Asked by kp0469 at 4:29 PM on Jan. 17, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• First off Speech delay does NOT mean Autism so you are right to not assume that! You need to contact your ins. company and find out if you need a referral and go from there. If you don' then just start calling around until you find one that can work with your company. You should also look into state programs like here in Ga it's called Babies Can't Wait.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:33 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• at his 2 year exam/shots didn't the dr talk about speech? like ask how many words he strings together and stuff?

if NOT.... find a new pediatrician like right now and do in for a consult..... and perhaps a referral.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 4:33 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• My 2nd and 3rd both had speech delays. My 2nd's pediatrician was concerned and gave us a referal to the Birth to Three program and they evaluated him and found him behind. Then they started him on speech therapy. My 3rd was not talking at 2 and I took him to one of our school district's screenings and he was diagnosed with speech delay. At age 2y 9 mo he started going to special ed speech classes and right now he is in a supported 4K class. For your son I would either ask the doctor for a referral, ask the insurance company if they have a preferred provider, or contact your school system and ask if they do evals. Other places to contact- Head Start, Birth to Three or check your local yellow pages.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 4:35 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• As a mom of a child with Autism I can tell you that speech delays do NOT mean the child has Autism! (for Autism there are a lot of other 'red flags' with behavior as well) At age 2 my Autistic child was speaking and in full (understandable) sentences! If your doctor shrugs off your concerns, find a new doctor and ask him/her for a speech evaluation referral. good luck!
    Anonymous

• Since your son is under 3 he would qualify for early intervention, and you can contact them directly without a doctor's referral. If you want to look into private speech therapy then your insurance carrier will likely require a referral from your pediatrician. 

I contacted our pediatrician when my son was 2 and asked him to set up the paperwork with ECI for me.  My son was evaluated and had speech services through ECI until he turned 3.  At 3, I asked our pediatrician to refer us to a private speech therapist, and we had an appointment  two weeks.  If your pediatrician won't help you, then definitely look for a new one.

TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 4:43 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• You are right to look into this now; even if your son doesn't have a significant delay earlier is better than later. My son's delay is not significant, but I want him to be as close to on target as possible when he starts to kindergarten; I see no reason to let him start out behind if we can do something about it now.
    TweenAndTwinMom

• My kid is all that and IS Autistic. He's no dummy or a zombie (in fact you can't get him to shut up). My DS's issue is his lack of behavioural control, hyperfocusing, and unable to pickup on social cues.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 4:44 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• my ped kept putting off my concerns about my son's speech finally at 3 I said I wanted to see a speech therapist and they gave me the referral I needed. You know you child better then anyone demand you get a referral if you need one or switch doctors. My son has a phonological disorder and he omits sounds or drops them completely. He is 6 and has been in speech for 3 yrs and is doing so much better.
    mandynjohnsmom

Answer by mandynjohnsmom at 4:47 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• My son was severely speech delayed and we had Early Intervention. His therapist was wonderful! The longer the little ones go without help, the farther they get behind.

Tips:
    Baby signs--they allow him to communicate with less frustration and studies show learning more signs increases their vocabulary in the long run.
    Talk in simple phrases. Always or as often as possible, describe what you are doing, even if your son doesn't seem to be paying attention. Ex: Mom wash dishes. Lots of bubbles! pop pop pop. scrub the dish. : time for shoes. sock on foot. foot in shoe. ; etc ...
    Don't stop being your child's advocate!
    Never, ever let anyone brush off something that concerns you about your child. It is ALWAYS better to evaluated sooner rather than later so interventions can be made ASAP. If a qualified evaluator says all is ok, it's better than hearing "We wish he's have started sooner." down the road.
    JZ10FPM

Answer by JZ10FPM at 4:54 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• I wouldn't worry about it yet. Speech is different for every child. You are concerned so keep a eye on his progress or what is happening with his speech. But I wouldn't be too aweful concerened with it yet.
    MamaWolf1981

Answer by MamaWolf1981 at 4:58 PM on Jan. 17, 2011