sedating cat before bedtime ...

has anyone else ever done this before?

our cat will be 8y/o in March. He was taken from his Mom WAY too early and we're the only home he's ever known. Lately he's had terrible aggression and biting but it's worse at night when we're defenseless. He bites to blood and a few times he's actually gotten his teeth stuck into us where you have to grab his head and twist/pull. He's not playing, per se, he wants to hurt us. Our options with the vet are pull out his teeth and put him on soft food, put him down, or sedate him 45 minutes before WE goto bed at night. (Handing him over to a shelter isn't an option since he's un-adoptable and so aggressive. He could never be re-homed). Thursday night will be our 1st night doing this and I am freaked out ...... anyone have history w/ this?

hibbingmom

Asked by hibbingmom at 4:30 PM on Jan. 17, 2011 in Pets

• what about using a cat carrier/kennel at night instead? did they test for possible rabies or any "reason" this is all of a sudden happening?
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 4:32 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• I would put him down. Sorry but a cat that attacks and has just turned this way has something wrong with it that won't be cured by just sedating it at bedtime.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 4:32 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• why not just shut the bedroom doors so he can not get to you or putting him in a kennel?...cats are naturally nocturnal so even sedating him might not work all night. I have only "tried" to sedate my cat one time and it was for a very long road trip when we were moving...it didnt work out too well..he spit out the medicine and made himself sick. I honestly couldnt keep an animal around that was intentionally trying to hurt me or my kids.
    foxracing43701

Answer by foxracing43701 at 4:36 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• sedation isn't going to last all night and repeatability sedating him is not really a long term 'cure'. I agree that perhaps locking him in a bathroom at night. I am guessing you have already spoken to a vet about this problem... I find it odd they are jumping to sedation and pulling teeth... Seems there are other directions to go first. Like blood work for metabolic causes. Him being taken form his mother early also does not seem a likely cause since he has had no issue until now.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:37 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• Send PETA after me but when my ex's cat started this, it only took 2-3 times of being launched off of the bed into the wall to get him to stop.

Cats aren't any different than dogs. If they start biting, they get put down.
    Anonymous

• we tried locking him up at nights but he was self mutilating. He's up on all his shots (distemper, feline leukemia, etc) and we paid extra to have a 24 hour urine collection to triple check for diabetes. He's healthy as a horse and normally kind, affectionate, a real lap cat. But he seems to have a taste for blood lately. The dr thinks he's spoiled and he's mad at us for going to bed and abandoning him. Sedatives are the only drug option, there's mood stabilizers but they're spendy and we're NOT rich. It's likely behavior & depression .... he's an overweight house cat and only has a few years left. Hate to put him down without trying other things 1st. Having his teeth removed required 2 nights in the vet office and would cost a LOT. And that could actually make his depression worse. So it's sedatives or put him down. Not fun choices.
    hibbingmom

Comment by hibbingmom (original poster) at 4:49 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• the him being taken from his mom too early part: we're bonded, he thinks we're like his real family...... and when we're asleep and "ignoring him" he takes it personally and wants us punished.

hibbingmom

Comment by hibbingmom (original poster) at 4:51 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• If he bites your for no reason do you think he is going to allow you to shove medice down his throat without biting? If he is just starting this behavior after 8 years there has to be something that set it off. He isnt going to all of a sudden just start biting for no reason. I think you need a new vet. If its only happening at night shut the door to your bedroom its that simple. Sedation is not going to last all night so it will not solve your problem, it may even make it worse or cause other problems with the cats health.
    Anonymous

• I am a cat/dog person and I would sedate him at night. It should last all night.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 5:12 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• I would consult with another vet. There is something you can get that you put in a scent diffuser that is supposed to calm them down. My vet's office has the going all the time in their office to calm the cats. I feel bad for you and the cat.
    confused969

Answer by confused969 at 5:42 PM on Jan. 17, 2011