The Doctor Scraped my 21 month olds Ear Canal...

He made it bleed and everything. Has this ever happened to anyone else? Is it a big deal? The Doctor kinda looked worried. He just said if it continues to bleed throughout the day it is normal.

MommyMel03

Asked by MommyMel03 at 11:33 AM on Nov. 13, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• If the canal was scraped from removing wax I wouldn't sweat it. My oldest son and my grand daughter both had long ear infection histories. In fact, both had 2 sets of tubes each. Over the course of time they both had canal scraped at one time or another. The other problem is IF they have an infection an already vascular area..becomes more tender..and more vascular making it more susceptible to injury. I gave mine some tylenol for discomfort and it was fine.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 11:58 AM on Nov. 13, 2008

• What was the purpose? Did the child have something in his ear? Excess wax? A growth? The "Why" would make all the difference to me.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 11:36 AM on Nov. 13, 2008

• I looked up a diagram of a babys ear, and I dont think it is abig deal, but shouldnt the Doctor havebeen more careful? And the thing he was using to look in there was just plastic!
    MommyMel03

Answer by MommyMel03 at 11:36 AM on Nov. 13, 2008

• He was trying to remove Excess Wax so he could check for an ear infection.
    MommyMel03

Answer by MommyMel03 at 11:39 AM on Nov. 13, 2008

• He'll be fine. -- My son had a lot of ear infections when he was little, and sometimes they had to scrape out some of the wax to see into the canal. Their ears are so small, and it's not hard to bump the sides. Those little tools they use are a really hard plastic, so it's not the same as a sharp instrument, it just scratches a little too hard sometimes especially if the wax is dry and stuck on. I wouldn't worry about it if I were you.
    christyg

Answer by christyg at 11:50 AM on Nov. 13, 2008