How sad is that?! 3 in 4 people will turn their back on you before you drop dead when diegnosed with a fatal disease.

www.ikbenernog.nl (means "I'm still here")

Sorry, it's all dutch. No translation button.

BeachMom81

Asked by BeachMom81 at 4:49 PM on Jan. 17, 2011 in Relationships

• It also happens when you have a special needs child. Some people just can't handle anything out of the ordinary.
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 10:52 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• I think 100% of the people who really care will stay and that's all we really need! The people who truly care.
    leah_rai

Answer by leah_rai at 4:53 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• It is very sad.
    But, some people can't be there and be supportive. They will only make things worse. They shouldn't be there.
    Some people cant face mortality, and being faced with someone you love being diagnosed with a fatal disease, cases them to think about their own mortality, and some cant handle that.
    So i don't really think ALL of it is because they don't care, they just cant face it themselves.
    Recently, one of my SO's friends was diagnosed with throat cancer (he's 25). They were best friends in high school, and had drifted apart, but were still good friends. When my SO found out, he didn't call him for months. He told me that this friend had been so vivacious and full of life, that he couldn't see him sick like that. He couldn't handle it.
    He eventually called him, and has gone to visit. But it took a while. Not because he didn't care, because he couldn't face loosing his friend.
    Mme.Langley

Answer by Mme.Langley at 5:49 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• that is sad, my guess is that those 2 of the 3 don't know how to deal with it or what to do for the person, and only 1 really doesn't care. The 4th one is that one person whose willing to bend over backwards. Thats pretty realistic.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 4:51 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• My son had cancer and people stayed away from us in droves I believe this statement.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 4:52 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• It's shocking.
    sweetpea1217

Answer by sweetpea1217 at 4:53 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• Someone who I love very much is battling cancer. Everyone has a been a great support and I'm so thankful for that.
    Simplicity3

Answer by Simplicity3 at 5:02 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• I know it to be true. Not just about illnesses, but about those moments when someone around us cries out for help. Whether its to have someone to listen or talk to because they are hurting emotionally or mentally in distress. In our community over the last four weeks 5 ppl have committed suicide and a 5th one who shot himself day before yesterday is barely hanging on now. There is no age barrier, or lifestyle. One,a prominent lawyer 54. Two were 70yrs. One was 36. One 32. The one that just happened, I'm not sure. I've lost count how many teens have done it. The sad part is, they are the one who looses, well so does their family. Life continues on & they are missed. PLZ look beyond your comfort zone. See those around you. Whether they have a toothache or flu, when they start acting different or get quiet & withdrawn. Seek them out. Let them know u care. B there 4 them! PLZ while there's still time!
    WalknWithGod

Answer by WalknWithGod at 5:27 AM on Jan. 18, 2011