Would you allow your 16 year old daughter to fly across the United States by herself to visit relatives for Spring Break?

marchar2002

Asked by marchar2002 at 4:52 PM on Jan. 17, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• I see some no's, which is fine because it's just opinions, however, 16 year olds drive and go places on their own. I would think flying would be safer. jmo.
    Aquarius80

Answer by Aquarius80 at 5:10 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• Yes, I would.

Answer by older at 4:53 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• Yes
    Aquarius80

Answer by Aquarius80 at 4:52 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• Yes. My parents sent me to CO for a month when we were living in NC.
    sweetpea1217

Answer by sweetpea1217 at 4:55 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• I know if kids r flying alone the airline employees will watch them. U just have to let them know that your child will be flying alone and they will take care of your child.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 5:06 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• Depending on the length of the flight and the relative in question I would say more than likely, yes with a plan in place and a pre-paid cell phone in tow.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:54 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• Yes if they were responsible. If I had any worries Id pay for the an unaccompanied minor ticket.

Answer by gemgem at 4:55 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• flying alone, yes - at 16 she is plenty old enough to fly alone... my daughter started flying alone at 13 to visit her friend.

spring break with realities... only if I know that they will adequately supervise her.

sahlady

Answer by sahlady at 4:56 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• Yes, I've been flying alone since I was 14 and its only 10 years later the world is still just as dangerous now as it was then imo. If I had a 16 year old I would allow them to fly, since it's their first time you can ask if security or a flight attendant would escort them to their gate so they do not get lost. I still sometimes feel a little overwhelmed in air ports lol.
    Gnomeofmyheart

Answer by Gnomeofmyheart at 5:15 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• It depends on a lot of things..
    If she has proven to be honest and trustworthy.
    If the relatives in question are just as responsible and honest, and have proven that they are willing to abide by my rules for my daughter.

But, to be honest, i don't really know. If i knew, without a doubt that my daughter could behave appropriately, and stay away from trouble. I would. But if i had ANY doubt, no I wouldn't. She will be 18 soon, and she can wait if I am not comfortable with it.
    Younger and younger kids are getting Into serious trouble, and doing very inappropriate things. I would be wary, ESPECIALLY around spring break. People are just looking to hook up, and if I couldn't trust the relatives to keep an eye on her, it would be very easy to sneak out and have sex with strangers. That's what spring break is about for most people.
    I'd rather be safe than sorry.
    Mme.Langley

Answer by Mme.Langley at 5:44 PM on Jan. 17, 2011