why is edd 40 weeks?

Why is it known that pregnancy is 9 months which is 36 weeks.... but my due date is 10 months when I am 40 weeks?
Will I most likely deliver at 9 or 10 mo?

sassy_brizzy

Asked by sassy_brizzy at 11:34 AM on Nov. 13, 2008 in Pregnancy

• I had my son at 39 weeks and 2 days so yes.... you can be pregnant for 10 months.
    sbastille

Answer by sbastille at 11:47 AM on Nov. 13, 2008

• 9 months is really more of an estimate. It's 40 weeks, beginning on the first day of your last period. Don't pay any attention to calendar months. Go by weeks.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 11:37 AM on Nov. 13, 2008

• I don't know for sure but, it's probably because that the doctor goes by the date of your LAST period and most women go by the date of their missed period, which is when they know they are pregnant.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:41 AM on Nov. 13, 2008

• HELLOOOOOOOOOO!! 40 weeks is 10 months!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:42 AM on Nov. 13, 2008

• Pregnancy is 40 weeks long. That's ROUGHLY 40 calendar months. There are more than 4 weeks in each month.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:44 AM on Nov. 13, 2008

• Think of it this way....
    There are 12 months in a year. There are 52 weeks in a year.

52 weeks divided by 12 months gives us.... TAH DAH... 4 1/3 weeks in a month. NOT FOUR. FOUR AND ONE THIRD.

And yes, the easy way to track your pregnancy is by weeks, not months. If someone gives you a blank stare when you tell them you are 23 weeks along, just give them a rough month number - 5 months.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:50 AM on Nov. 13, 2008

• Look at it this way...each month does not have an exact increment of 7 days, exept for February when it's not a leap year lol. A year consists of 52 weeks, subtract 12 (which would equal to 3 months of 4 weeks each) and you get 40 weeks for pregnancy. It's not an exact science.
    cskomk0106

Answer by cskomk0106 at 11:59 AM on Nov. 13, 2008

• I KNOW THE MONTHS ARE LONGER OR SHORTER.
    BUT I KNOW 36 WEEKS IS CONSIDERED FULL TERM, SO WHY NOT JUST GIVE US THE 36 WEEKS DUE DATE RATHER THAN MAKING ME WAIT 4 MORE WEEKS??
    I KNOW IT CAN BE 2 WEEKS EARLY OR 2 WEEKS LATE DEPENDING.
    sassy_brizzy

Answer by sassy_brizzy at 12:20 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• 36 weeks is not full term. Anything after 37 weeks is considered full term. Why? Because that is when the baby's lungs are developed enough to support life outside the womb with little to no help. So why don't they use 37 weeks? Because thousands of years of experience has shown doctors that most babies come around 40 weeks, not 37. The doctor isn't "making you wait 4 more weeks".... mother nature is. With any luck at all, your baby will come when she is ready - not early, not late - when she is ready. And that will be around the 40 week mark.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:24 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• In case you are wondering why babies don't come once their lungs can support them, those last few weeks are "finishing touches" weeks. The lungs FINISH maturing. Yes, they can support life at 37 weeks, but they do an even better job the longer the baby waits. The baby is also laying down fat reserves in those final weeks. During the first few weeks after birth, the baby will LOSE weight. Those fat reserves give her something to live on while her body learns to support itself and just in case she catches a cold. Could she live without those reserves? Certainly. But again, her body does a better job in those early weeks of life the longer she waits to be born.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:27 PM on Nov. 13, 2008