OMG! I NEED HELP!

SO MY ALMOST 4 YEAR OLD IS NOW BEING DESTRUCTIVE AND IS COMPLETELY FLAT OUT REFUSING TO LISTEN TO ANYTHING HE THINKS ITS FUNNY TO DO THINGS THAT GETS HIM IN TROUBLE OR HE KNOWS IS DANGEROUSE. LIKE STANDING ON HIS HEATER IN HIS ROOM. IT IS A BASE BOARD HEATER. BUT WE KEEP CATCHING HIM STANDING ON IT TO SEE OUT HIS BEDROOM WINDOW. WELL TELL HIM TO DO SOMETHING OR NOT TO DO SOMETHING AND HE JUST LOOKS AT US A SMILES OR SMILES AND LOOKS US DIRECTLY IN THE EYES AND TELLS US NO.
HELP I HAVE TRIED EVERYTHING FROM SPANKING TO TIME OUTS TO CORNERS AND LOOSING PRIVILAGES!
ANY SUGGESTIONS??????

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:04 PM on Jan. 17, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• SOunds like he is trying to take control and so far getting away with it. Have you tired removing his toys from his room? My son (granted not the same issues as you have) use to get his things taken away when he would misbehave. It would get to the point where all of the toys (or the majority of them) would end up being taken out of his room. At first it would get worse (imediate response). He would kick doors and scream and throw things in his room. But eventually it would get better and he could then earn his things back by doing good helpful things.
    I also (at one point-worked too) had a sticker sheet for him. Whenever he listened or did something he should I gave him a sticker. Then at the end of the week I would tally them and he woudl get a treat or a privalidge he normally didn't get.
    Good luck
    MamaWolf1981

Answer by MamaWolf1981 at 5:15 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• Yes stay on top of him. By allowing him to know wthat you are the parent and you will not tolerate that kind of behavior. Yes time outs are a must at this age. Good Luck!
    Sakinsglow

Answer by Sakinsglow at 1:33 AM on Jan. 18, 2011