When should I start potty training?

My son is 11 1/2 months old and he is really advanced for his age. lately he's been keeping a dry diaper for 5-6 hours and in the morning his diaper is hardly wet. I have heard that it is best to wait until 18 months but if he is having a dry diaper should i start now? I am a first time mom and i am completely clueless and his dad and i dont really get along. please help!!

tyhlarsmommy07

Asked by tyhlarsmommy07 at 11:34 AM on Nov. 13, 2008 in General Parenting

• Holding his urine for longer periods is ONE of the signs but it's not the only one.
    Yes, you can train him (or rather you) at this young age. Keep an eye on him and see if you can figure out a pattern to when he pees and poops. Start taking him to the potty at those times or at regular intervals all day long. Once he accidently goes in the potty, make a big deal out of it. He won't appreciate stickers or rewards but he'll like likes of smiles and happy talk. Until he is old enough to take over on his own, YOU will have to do the work... take him at the right time or on a set schedule, work his clothes, keep him there until he goes or for a certain length of time, etc. Once he is old enough to take over, you can start teaching him to recoginze the "I've got to go" feeling and how to stop playing long enough to go when he needs to instead of when you want him to.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:43 AM on Nov. 13, 2008

• Consistency is the key, no matter the age. The younger you start, the more work YOU have to do and the longer the process will take. If you set your expectations low, don't pressure him, don't get mad at accidents and set backs, you will probably have him trained within a year.
    kaycee14

• As soon as they were able to walk we started working on it...we were consistant and very relaxed...
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 1:19 PM on Nov. 13, 2008