Cats with sudden murmur?

I brought my 10 year old cat in this weekend for yearly shots, the Dr noticed a new heart murmur and he lost 2-1/2 lbs.. she sent out blood work for hypothyroidism which isn't uncommon for cats his age. Well, she got the results and the tests were perfect.. no hypothyroidism, which means, it could be heart disease but they won't know what kind until an ultrasound is done...any one else go through this? wondering about the severity of the situation I guess..

maxsmom11807

Asked by maxsmom11807 at 5:09 PM on Jan. 17, 2011 in Pets

• I had a cat that developed a murmur due to her teeth. I also had a cat that developed one from hyperthyroidism. One thing about hyperthyroidism. Some cats will have it but their blood work comes back perfect. Sometimes they need to be tested more then once. Sometimes, murmurs can be heard when the cat is very stressed but they don't truly have a murmur and sometimes they just develope them as they get older. Do you remember what grade the vet said it was? They are graded from 1 to 6. My cat Winnie's murmur was found when she was 2 years old and even after she went through the treatment for her teeth she still had the murmur. She lived with a grade 2 murmur and irreegular heart rate until she was 15 years old when it jumped to a grade 5.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 8:44 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• All my prayers for u and your cat. From one cat person to another.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 5:13 PM on Jan. 17, 2011