How can I find the reading grade level of my child?

When I was a kid, the teacher was able to tell my parents what grade level I was reading at, but my sons teacher just says the "letters" they assign reading groups to do not correspond to grade level and that he is above his level.

Anyone know how I can find out myself? I want him challenged..

bookmommy

Asked by bookmommy at 5:33 PM on Jan. 17, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I am not sure, how you can tell. My son's teacher (2nd grade) said that he tested at the end of the 3d grade level.
    BrandonsMom1000

Answer by BrandonsMom1000 at 5:44 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• Yes, she is talking about the guided reading level, which took me awhile to figure out as well. DDs' class is like that, however her teacher also told me what grade level she was at, at the parent teacher conference. Maybe you could ask again?
    minimo77

Answer by minimo77 at 6:43 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• Just ask the the teacher again. Explain that you would like to know for your personal reference and to work on with your child at home.

kmrtigger

Answer by kmrtigger at 3:19 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• I'll try asking her-again. I asked last conference when she told me what letter he was reading at and she said she didn't know, that it didn't correlate to grade level, or apparently the numbered books either. I hate this school district.
    bookmommy

Comment by bookmommy (original poster) at 7:22 PM on Jan. 18, 2011