How upset would you be if your twenty year old daughter came home and told you her and her boyfriend of 3 and a half years are having a baby together unplanned?

I am twenty years old and just entered my third year at college just transferred to a four year school and i missed my period and think i could be pregnant because i hardly miss my period. I'm not sure yet but my boyfriend has be joking around for ever about having a kid and i know we couldn't afford one right now at all but something might have went wrong and now we might have to try and work this out. My parents love me to death, I'm their baby girl. I'm very mature and love kids and would make a great mother but I know I'm not financially ready for it. I don't no for sure yet if I'm pregnant but I'm sure there is a good chance. How do you think my parents will react. Something as unplanned and sort of irresponsible is not likely of me so I am so nervous. I live at school with loans and he lives at home and its his last semester in the spring at college so timing defiantly isn't perfect..... any feedback would be so helpful

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:38 AM on Nov. 13, 2008 in Pregnancy

• They will of course be dissapointed but will get past that. I was 22 when I got pregnant and my parents were a little upset at first. They LOVE my daughter to death and wouldnt have had it any other way. Just assure them that you can handle it and that you WILL stay in school. Trust me, you have to. I didnt and now I am a SAHM living on one income b/c I cant find a descent job that pays well enough to afford daycare. Everything will work out. Just be responsible and take care of yourself. Its scary but def not impossible! :)
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 11:42 AM on Nov. 13, 2008

• Hard to say without knowing your parents. But honestly, there are much worse things than a 20 year old college student having an unplanned pregnancy. If they freak out, maybe you could point that out to them. Say, "Gee Mom, at least I'm not a crack head." But, hey, maybe you're not even pregnant. So why get all bent out of shape about it until you know for sure that you are.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 11:42 AM on Nov. 13, 2008

• I think they might be a little disapointed but they love you and will probably support your choice to ahve baby just be open and honest with them
    abellvalerie

Answer by abellvalerie at 11:44 AM on Nov. 13, 2008

• And besides, I was only with my dd father for 3 months! Your parents should be a little more at ease since they now your bf. Your also not a teen anymore and are doing well in school. Just take a test!
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 11:45 AM on Nov. 13, 2008

• DONT WORRY!!!!
    Parents actually expect it now a days, it is very common. Although they may be disappointed they will be happy in the end. You may not even be pregnant, go get checked at your doctor or planned parenthood. If you are then decide what you are going to do before you tell them. If you are not then just learn from this. You are not in highshool, you are not a slacker so just keep moving forward and give your baby the best life possible.
    If you are pregnant you can actually get scholarships for pregnant students, so look into them. They can help with the loans.
    Your parents will accept you and your baby, they will love your child so much.
    Everything will be ok, just dont give up or get discouraged.
    sassy_brizzy

Answer by sassy_brizzy at 11:46 AM on Nov. 13, 2008

• well I was 25 and with my guy for about 3 yrs and I found myself pregnant. I was so scared to tell my mother. I don't know what it was, I just didn't want her to be disappointed, I think on the inside I was a little, since I wasn't married and I never thought Id be having a baby first. with that being said, I waited to tell, and I think people started to notice, then my sisters knew and we were gearing up to tell mom, and she found out, and really she was sad that I thought I couldn't tell her, since I am her baby (youngest of 4) she said this is it, my baby is a mom. she was so happy and I regret how it all played out and even though she had already had 5 grandchildren, I

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:51 AM on Nov. 13, 2008

• know my little guy is her special lil man because it is what she has always looked at as her baby's baby. so if you want this baby, then you should share with them and it might end up helping you. if everyone waited until they were financially set to have children, we would live in almost a childless world. by the way, when my 1st child was born, the first thoughts for a few weeks, why did I wait so long for this? this is the best thing in my whole life, i cant remember even having joy compared to this kind. you'll see, everyone does once they become a mom. good luck!!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:52 AM on Nov. 13, 2008

• Look I got pregnant at 16 by my boyfriend of six months. then i gt pregnant again at 18 with a different person that i was with for a yr. now i am 19 and am pregnant again by the same person and the only one that was planned was the second. My mom helped me she eve took my first for a couple months so i could get thing together to take care of him on my own. Parents are there tlove you andhelp you through everything. They will be thrilled. though it might not be the best time they will be thilled.
    Anonymous

• They will be happy .............................eventually. Although they will probably put a lot of pressure on you to get married.
    Anonymous

• Bad timing can happen at any age. I was 28 and the timing was bad.. haha. I'll be honest - my Dad was jubilant, my Mom asked cautiously if I was going to "keep it"... She wasn't thrilled.. but once my son was here she was over it. I don't know how your Mom is but she may voice a little dismay, give her time .. grandparents love their grandbabies. :) Good luck!
    Serafyna

Answer by Serafyna at 12:23 PM on Nov. 13, 2008