My dog wont stop chewing on things...

She chews my shoes, the chair, my daughters toys.. evrything. I wish i could put hot sauce on stuff as a deterant, but that would be really messy, how do i get her to stop?

NiekaC

Asked by NiekaC at 11:45 AM on Nov. 13, 2008 in Pets

• Give her things she can chew on... like a raw hide bone, tennis ball etc. When she picks up (and before she has a chance) something that doesn't belong to her take it away and give her one of her toys. You also need to exercise the dog. Take her outside and play fetch with her. Some breeds need a lot of exercise. Dogs tend to chew when they are bored. A tired dog is a happy dog. I have a wicker basket in the living room that has the dog's toys in it.
    MomShawn70

Answer by MomShawn70 at 1:26 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• My dog used to chew on everything too, he even chewed a hole in the wall! We wanted to get him a cage because he would always do this either at night when we were asleep, or when we were gone. But our house isn't that big, and he's a big dog (a rott) so we didn't have room for a cage that would be big enough. We ended up getting him a muzzle. I thought he would hate it, but he actually never gave me a hard time when I would put it on. (He could still eat and drink with it on, and even bark) After a few months, I quit putting it on him and haven't had a problem since.

Oh, and I tried getting him all kinds of things to chew on before that... for some reason that didn't work with him!
    mom2XandZ

Answer by mom2XandZ at 3:32 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• my dog (golden ret) is the same way as yours..i even tried taking him to doggie school, and that didnt help, all they said was when a dog takes something they shouldnt have tell him firmly and loudly "NOO!!" and give them something they ARE allowed to have..but dont give them anything that resembles stuff they shouldnt (like old socks or toy shoes or old shoes or old baby toys etc)..
    but yaaa that didnt work with my dog either...and with mine he totally knows when he has something hes not supposed to..cuz he acts all sneaky as he has it and runs outside with it, then as soon as he sees that i see him he drops it and gets really low and runs and hides..i never hit him..because i dont believe dogs or any animal learns from being hit, ya ive smacked his nose a cpl times but..no..nothings worked!! lol..sorry im not any help! just wanted to let ya know im right there with ya!!!!
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 2:12 AM on Nov. 14, 2008

• i agree with MomShawn70, He could just be bored. There is also this spray called bitter apple. you are surpose to spray on the thing he loves to chew. It might help.
    emmasmom1

Answer by emmasmom1 at 10:05 AM on Nov. 14, 2008

• I am so there with alexis 06, My kids leave toys ALL OVER the house and I tell them "look if the dog gets it, ruins it, then it is now the dogs. Sometimes they clean up, not often but the dog does have less (non-dog) toys.
    castlseqween700

Answer by castlseqween700 at 1:11 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• I have a Puggle, he's chewed my chair and both corners of the coffee table and one knob off the coffee table. I got him a rawhide bone and that seemed to do the trick for awhile. I need to get him another one. Try that.
    mom3cutieboyz

Answer by mom3cutieboyz at 10:57 AM on Nov. 15, 2008

• you can buy a spray from the pet shops that are a detterant ,my 6mnth old staffie is going through the chewing stage and she has bones and all sorts of toys to chew but she is not interested in them she chews them for a bit and then goes back to her favourite things ,the walls, the skirting boards ,doors ,furniture ,so I spray this stuff and it seems to be working .
    loulou332

Answer by loulou332 at 2:09 AM on Nov. 18, 2008