when can i start to potty trained my 16 months old son?

my son is 16 months old son almost 17. he just start sleeping 2 days ago in his own toodler bed and is been great.. so i want to know if i can start teaching him potty trained or is too early? he is really smart i think he may get it but i dont know.. if i can, how should i start doing it. ? please help thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:45 AM on Nov. 13, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• he will only be this age once, he will only need you to help for so long, you should enjoy him while you can. my son trained at almost 3, my DD at 2. anything before 24 months is early. boys are usually slower. I just wouldnt want to deal with pull ups or good nights. and I waited, so I didnt. though for about 6-9 before my son trained (in a week) he peed every moring when he woke up, and he didnt go through the night.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:58 AM on Nov. 13, 2008

• I think its a bit early. I started with my son just before he turned 2 and I think it was still too early for him. We are still trying to potty train. Just wait and you will know when he is ready. You can get a potty chair and let him get familiar with. Whatever you do don't pressure him.
    nurbabe82

Answer by nurbabe82 at 12:09 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• If you want to see if he is interested, start by putting the potty chair where he can see it and check it out. I got hte potty chair out when my son was about 20 months. I intended to just introduce it to him and show him that it was his special seat and let him sit on it fully dressed at first. He, however, was fascinated by it and wanted his diaper off. It has been a slow process as he learns his cues for when he needs to go potty, but he's getting there and we are going at his own pace so hopefully soon we'll be done with diapers. Good luck to you!
    Abilyn

Answer by Abilyn at 12:42 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• It's never to early to introduce the concept. My daughter became interested at 10 months (when she started crawling) because she could follow me into the bathroom and was curious about it. So we let her sit on it. She took to it really well. Your son may not take to it as well, but introducing the concept is completely harmless at any age. My daughter is now 16 1/2 months and has been out of diapers since August. We still put her in them at night because she is still too small to get out of toddler bed on her own and is in a crib still. People will advise against it but they do better younger (expessially before they hit the stubborn phase!!!) Also they don't feel as if they need to be bribed to go the sense that they're doing the right thing is enough excitement for a 1 1/2 year old. A 2 year old may need a sticker.
    unwieldingdream

Answer by unwieldingdream at 12:57 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• he is NOT too young...start him now! I did with my 4... they trained early... just dont push it...Make it fun....get hiim his chair and have him sit and go while mommy or daddy do.....
    twinklstar

Answer by twinklstar at 1:57 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• it is not to early to show him how a potty works, but i think it is to early to potty train. if he just moved to a toddler bed you don't want to overwhelm him. if you introduce to many new things at once, he may decide not to do any of them. take it slow, get a potty movie - i suggest potty time elmo. put a potty seat in the bathroom, and just let him watch the movie and check the potty out. hope this helps
    kristyann

Answer by kristyann at 10:46 AM on Nov. 14, 2008