Racism

I just got finish watching Oprah about racism in the past 25 years. I think we have come a long ways. What do you guys think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:55 PM on Jan. 17, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Yes, but there is always room for improvement. It's still pretty prevalent in the south.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 5:57 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• I think it depends where you live. My son just had one boy at school tell him he would be thrown out of his church if he kept being my son's friend, and another boy told him yesterday that he was going to hell because he is Jewish. Sounds pretty racist to me. The Japanese family that moved to this town had death threats sent to them too.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 5:57 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• We have come a long ways, and yet in some cases it will never die because some will see racism where none exists and some will always think they are better than others. Sad, but true. The best thing we can do is teach our children that in all people there is good and bad, and no one is ever better than another.
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 5:58 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• Wow! Where do you live Marwill?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:59 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• We have come a long way, but as long as there are people, there will be racism. My husband is black, and I am white, we see is all the time here in the south. Even from both sides of our family. I hate it, but unfortunately it's part of life that some people remain in their ignorance.
    bbbrussell20

Answer by bbbrussell20 at 5:59 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• It depends on where you live, I'm sure in some parts of the south its worse, but yes we have come a long way but we still have a ways to go.
    countrygirl06

Answer by countrygirl06 at 6:00 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• I live in NE Indiana.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 6:00 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• I think its come a long way for some races but not all. Were part Hispanic and my 17 yr old looks more Hispanic then I do. He is dating a girl and goes to church with her and one guy is really mean to him because of his race. He has been causing problems for my son and my son feels really unwelcomed AT A CHURCH! I told him to ignore the racist f*cker but you know hes still a kid and it bothers him. This isnt the first instance either. I had a teacher tell me when he was 6 he was stupid because he was Mexican. I had a bus driver leave him at school because she didnt want Mexicans on her bus. I told all of them how ignorant they are because first off were Spanish, not Mexican. Second, my husband, parents etc make more money then theyd ever think of and pay their salaries. It doesnt matter though people are really dumb about things sometimes.

Answer by gemgem at 6:02 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• Its not pefect at all. We still have ignorance around. Me and my mom was talking about how they were treated back then.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 6:02 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• come very far

....and only halfway there

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 6:02 PM on Jan. 17, 2011