How many old photos do you have stored in boxes/envelopes dusty photo albums?

I have recently become the keeper of the family photos after my mother passed. There were hundreds, I bought an automatic scanner and started the process of putting them all on CD to share with the rest of the family and for my son to remember his grandma when he is older.

I realized that many other mums must have these huge collection of pictures too, and I was considering starting a small home business transferring them to CD. Is there a market for this? How many photos do you guys/or your mothers have stored in boxes etc?

Thanks

Nora

So I was wondering if you guys could help me figure out if it would be a viable way to make some money while I'm at home with the little fella for the next few years. I need to know if

NoraJane83

Asked by NoraJane83 at 6:27 PM on Jan. 17, 2011 in Technology

• automatic scanner??
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 6:27 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• BTW .... I would guess my stored photos near 2000 if not more. Boxes upon boxes. My Mom when she passes will make me end up with another 5000+ I am sure.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 6:29 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• an automatic scanner feeds photos through it like paper in a printer, you can just put in a pile and it will scan them one by one.

What do you think is a fair price to scan that many (5000) photos and put them on disc?
    NoraJane83

Comment by NoraJane83 (original poster) at 6:32 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• I bet there is a market for it - I know a lot of people that have tons of pictures and no time (or the technology) to get the pics transferred to disk. As far as pricing goes; I just saw something similar and it was $29.99 to transfer up to 250 pictures to disk. You may want to check around your area and see if there is anyone else doing it and how much they charge.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 8:55 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• I have also gotten a good majority of my moms and dads pics after my mom died. Me and my siblings decided to give to me and eventually I will go through all of them and make Photo Albums for each of us to get. If we need duplicate pics, they can all pitch in and have them made. We all liked this idea. These albums will be passed down to our children.
    Caring1

Answer by Caring1 at 4:29 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• I am the keeper of the family photos ~ I have two boxes of 35 mm slides that I converted to digital images. So I've kept the original slides. I haven't tackled the scan photos project yet.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 2:52 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• can you guys fill out this very quick survey for me http://www.surveygizmo.com/s3/455908/Photographic-Memories

thankyou :) x
    NoraJane83

Comment by NoraJane83 (original poster) at 11:38 AM on Jan. 27, 2011