help my child is not tidy?

My 7 yr old DD loves to keep every paper, toy container, school activity projects as souvenirs. I try to explain to her that she don't need to save everything. I tell her we can put up some of her pictures but not all of them. I been haven to get on to her about not keep her room clean. My question is do girls have the tendency to be messy like boys are thought out to be. I constantly i have to get her to clean her room. I afraid of her growing up being a hoader. Is this a sign of being one?

strongnbrave

Asked by strongnbrave at 6:35 PM on Jan. 17, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I'm no expert, but many hoarders say they were like this as kids.
    maybe if you could show her good things about being tidy.

ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 6:44 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• Maybe if you give her a reward for being tidy? Like if we clean up your room and get rid of the things you don't use/need than you can get a new decoration for you room/toy/pick where you go to dinner, etc? Or even a fun outing of her choice, but only if she fills up a garbage can with things. We do this at least twice a year with our kids - before birthdays and Christmas. I take a large garbage bag into their room and go through things - asking them before I toss anything. They are ok with it, with the understanding that we have to "make room" for the new and exciting things they are getting.
    stacyh114

Answer by stacyh114 at 7:48 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• i did that about a month ago. I did make "a deal" with her. I told her that if she clean her room, her bathroom and homework with outme asking or telling her she get to stay up an extra 30 minutes to stay up at nite. its working so far. thanks for yall advice
    strongnbrave

Comment by strongnbrave (original poster) at 2:59 AM on Jan. 21, 2011