kids friends just walking right in .....

obviously I need to remember to lock my doors during the day more. How do I discourage my sons neighborhood playmate from barging in and looking for him rather than calling first, knocking, ringing doorbell, etc. I've tried a friendly "oh my gosh you scared me, please don't do that again!" but it did not work at all.

hibbingmom

Asked by hibbingmom at 6:41 PM on Jan. 17, 2011 in General Parenting

• Tell them point blank that they do not just come on in, it's rude.
    oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 6:43 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• Ugh just tell him, "You need to knock or ring the doorbell and wait for us to answer."
    Anonymous

• Maybe ask the Mom or Dad to talk to them about it
    mommato2boys79

Answer by mommato2boys79 at 6:44 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• Well, maybe lock the door and see how that works. I know when my dd's friends come here they try that and I say do you know how toknock this isn't your house that you can just walk into.
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 6:44 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• How old is he. That is going to determine how it would be best to handle it. What you need to do is sit him down and tell him that in the future he must......knock, and wait at the door until a member of your family answers the door. No matter what his age he should understand this. Do not make light of it. He has to understand that it is not allowable for him to walk into your house on his own.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 6:45 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• Stop being nice. Tell them, you are not allowed to just walk into our house.  Keep telling them tell they understand.  When they do it. Tell them to go back out side and knock. 

Answer by louise2 at 6:46 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• We have always welcomed our children's friends as we welcome our children. Neither set of people need knock. Some of them even have keys.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 6:46 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• Id tell ds to tell him. Kids get embarassed by their parents pretty easily and if youjust say "Tell him to knock or I will!" then Im sure your prob will be resolved. If not then tell him flat out the rules.. him being the other kid
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 6:47 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• You have been Nice Once- tell him that you have a Door Bell for a reason! that would piss me off!

daisyb

Answer by daisyb at 6:47 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• Drag the kid outside and show him how to knock. and continue to do so until he gets it
    Rockabye

Answer by Rockabye at 6:50 PM on Jan. 17, 2011