If you could live to be 150, would you?

What if you knew that you would be completely dependent on others for the last 25 years of your life, but the first 125 years you would be happy and relatively healthy?

Holly.

Asked by Holly. at 6:42 PM on Jan. 17, 2011 in Just for Fun

• My great grandmother lived to be over 100. She said " I've outlived my husband, a few of my children, a few of my grandchildren and even a great grandchild, but what do you do when you just won't die."
    She was saddened by all of this and was frustrated that the last 5 years of her life, she was dependent on others. I think living to 150 would be too much.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 6:45 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• No way!
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 6:43 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• I'd want to live to 150 no matter what. I think there is a lot to be learned in being human --even if life looks less than perfect to the people out there.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 6:45 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• 25 years potentially in a nursing home alone .... omg no no no
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 6:46 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• No, I don't want to bury my children let alone my grandchildren.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 6:48 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• No! I plan to check out before I need to be cared for by anyone.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 7:01 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• No, especially not if the last 25 years meant being totally dependant on others. My mom took care of my great-grandmother in her final years, and I'm taking care of my grandmother. Being the full-time caregiver for an elderly relative is hard, emotionally, physically and financially. It can be a huge strain on other relationships and it's hard on the elder adult too in many ways.

I made my sons promise me if I ever got so debilitated I couldn't care for myself that they would find me a GOOD retirement home and not move me in with one of them. If anyone has to deal with changing adult diapers, multiple dr appoinments, memory loss, and (at least in my family) nasty attitudes, they should be paid for it and be able to go home after their shift, not take time off work unpaid, never sleep through the night, and/or work 24/7.
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 7:04 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• Not if it required any of my family to take care of me for the 25 years NO, it would be too much of a burden on them for too long.
    MyAngel003

Answer by MyAngel003 at 7:38 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• If I reach 100, I will definitely go back to my country. hahaha! I would.
    khf22

Answer by khf22 at 6:50 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• sure I wanna live forever!
    luvschocolate

Answer by luvschocolate at 6:55 PM on Jan. 17, 2011