Protesting funerals? Nice........

Arizona enacts funeral protest legislation Share this on: Mixx Facebook Twitter Digg delicious reddit

MySpace StumbleUpon LinkedIn January 11, 2011|By the CNN Wire Staff Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer signed emergency legislation Tuesday that bars protests within 300 feet of a funeral and within an hour from its beginning or end. Earlier in the day, the state legislature passed the measure, which targets a Kansas church whose members announced they plan to picket the funerals of the victims of Saturday's shootings in Tucson. "Such despicable acts of emotional terrorism will not be tolerated in the State of Arizona," Brewer said in a statement announcing she had signed the bill. "This legislation will assure that the victims of Saturday's tragic shooting in Tucson will be laid to rest in peace with the full dignity and respect that they deserve."

emilysmom1966

Asked by emilysmom1966 at 7:13 PM on Jan. 17, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Thank God some common sense prevailed here! Those people are twisted & should be charged w/ loitering, disturbing the peace, etc.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 7:16 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• clapping I hope NC will follow suit. Good for them!

jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 7:16 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• We really, as a group, need to stop talking about WBC. We need to stop giving them the spotlight.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 7:17 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• How dare they do that to the families of those poor people, even to think of it. Absolutely despicable. I'm so glad there's common sense to keep them away.
    leah_rai

Answer by leah_rai at 7:18 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• See...the thing is...as despicable as I think these people are...as horrible as I think they're actions are...I have to support their right to do it. It's free speech. If I tell them that they can't do that, then it opens the door for someone to tell me that I can't feel free to speak my mind for fear of incarceration. Or worse.

We need to ignore them. We're giving them the power they want.
    Anonymous

• lovinangels you make a great point.
    zebbiebug

Answer by zebbiebug at 7:25 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

_____
    Actually, it might not be considered free speech. Funerals are events that are arranged by families for family members. For this reason, they might not be protected by the freedom of speech amendment. There is a court battle going on about this in my state where a man is suing the WBC for 'protesting' at the funeral of his son who was killed in Iraq.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 7:36 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• I say that it should be up to the people to think about their actions and that actions speak louder than words. They are only gonna make a somber occasion into a public humiliation for the families. I don't think they should do this but as everyone else has made clear it would be a violation of their right to freedom of speech.
    breezy1955

Answer by breezy1955 at 7:59 PM on Jan. 17, 2011