Convertible carseat vs Booster car seat

My son is turning 3 soon, and I want to replace his carseats.
I'm torn between the convertible or the booster, not the ones with the no back, but the ones that have the harness, like the Britax Frontier.

What do you mom's suggest or what did you do? Thank you!
Any suggestions on the carseats? Convertible or booster?

K_Sawyer

Asked by K_Sawyer at 7:15 PM on Jan. 17, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I have each of my sons in a Graco Nautilus. My 5.5 year old is in it with a 5 point harness, and my 8.5 year old is in it as a high back booster. It harnesses up to 65 pounds and can be used as a booster up to 100 pounds. I am really happy with these seats. Three years old is way too young to be in a booster, IMO.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 7:16 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• Go for the Britax Frontier!!! We have 2, and we LOVE them!!! We've only ever used Britax at all and were thrilled when the Frontiers were released in the States!
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 7:16 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• my kids are 4 1/2 & 6 and both in Graco Nautilis . That's a 5 point harness still.

If I wasn't going that route, I'd probably do the Britax one, as it's a brand I really really trust. We'd have them right now but their extended weight 5 point harness seats are more $$$$ than I was willing to shell out
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 7:17 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• That was...go for the Frontier so long as your son meets the minimum height/weight requirements.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 7:17 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• If he is already front facing the britax frontier is a great seat and will keep him harnessed until he is able to sit in a booster seat properly...usually around age 6 or so. some less expensive options than the frontier are the Graco nautilus it harnesses to 65lbs then turns into a high back booster and then a low back booster or the Evenflo Maestro..it harnesses up to 50lbs and then turns into a high back booster. My 4 year old is in a Graco Nautilus and she loves it...we have plenty of room still in the harness.
    foxracing43701

Answer by foxracing43701 at 7:18 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• If your son is not rear facing their wouldn't be a point in getting a convertible seat. If however he is RF I would get a Safety 1st Complete Air.

I think the Frontier would be an excellent choice if it's in your budget. If you are looking for something less expensive I would go with the Evenflo Maestro.

AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 10:02 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• I m all for the convertible. I was never to find of the booster seats . Never seems like enough support for me.
    Sakinsglow

Answer by Sakinsglow at 1:27 AM on Jan. 18, 2011