Why do people say "I'd never live in California because they have earthquakes"....

when lightening storms/tornados/hurricanes/floods/BLIZZARDS are much more common and deadly in just about every other part of the US??? I think Califonia has one of the LEAST risks of death in a natual disaster.

I know there are several other reasons why someone would not choose to live in California, but I hear this "excuse" often when people learn where I am from and I just think it's funny. It really does not make much sense!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:23 PM on Jan. 17, 2011 in Just for Fun

• I always laugh at it. I was born and raised near Palm Springs CA and had my first apartment 8 miles from the San Andreas fault. I now live in NC and I can tell you after living through a hurricane Id rather have an earthquake any day. No you dont have warning, but having also gone through a 7 pointer there was less destruction then we had from a hurricane.

Answer by gemgem at 7:25 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• Earthquakes are one reason I wouldn't want to live in CA, along with wildfires, mudslides, and expense. I am also glad I no longer have to deal with tornadoes that the Midwest gets hit with, and I wouldn't want to live in places that get hurricanes, either. I moved to the desert where all we have to worry about is heat.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 7:25 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• I agree! I am a born and raised Californian, and I love I here. You take the good with the bad, I suppose, but earthquakes are very rare, especially those that do major damage. Building codes here take earthquakes into consideration, and buildings and bridges are retrofitted to withstand most earthquakes. I'd rather have an earthquake than a hurricane any day. They're really not a big deal mos of the time. You even get a sense for them. You know you're from California if you know what "earthquake weather" is!!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 7:27 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• I'm from CA and moved to MN and I haven't heard anything like that. You are being just as presumptive as the people you speak of. We have blizzards and sub zero weather and we do just fine. Everyone isn't dying out here.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 7:27 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• That makes me laugh as well!!! Ignorance is my guess :)
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 7:27 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• JulieJacobKyle there is more risk of death from a lightening storm, or even heat stroke in the desert than there is an earthquake, wildfire, or mudslide in CA!!!

Can't argue with the expense!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:28 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• Just afraid of what they seem to see as the future as a great possability. There are several things to fear in several places, but that's what they seem to associate with Ca. a lot. I live on the east coast and we have hurricanes all the time. You just never know what MOTHER NATURE will throw your/our way. I myself feel I can't control it, so I'm not going to worry about it all the time.
    MyAngel003

Answer by MyAngel003 at 7:29 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• Come on California is no that bad! I live in Nevada, but I was born and raised in California. As for why I live in Nevada, I wanted to see something new! I weas bored of the same old.
    But I like California! I am originally from Redondo Beach.
    idaspida

Answer by idaspida at 7:29 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• Yea I understand what you are saying. California has fires,floods,sunamee  And it coasts to much to live their. We live in Oklahoma. The first thing that comes to mind for a lot of people when they here that, is Tornadoes. But we have had 2 mild earth quake lately.

Answer by louise2 at 7:29 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• Of all of those, hurricanes and tornadoes scare me the most. Right before we left, there were 5 weeks of horrible weather in IL where the 4 counties around us were getting hit with tornado after tornado. I couldn't wait to leave. In the time I've lived here, I've only seen lightning a couple of times, and never close by. We don't really get anything here other than sunshine. It rained for a few days back in December and it shut the whole freaking city down.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 7:31 PM on Jan. 17, 2011