going to court.....

going to court tomorrow. im representing myself in supreme court against my ex who has a lawyer. he agreed to pay half of the kids parochial schooling. that is until he got the bill in the mail. 2 years later i finally have my day in court. he has the potential of going to jail for contempt. im so nervous i cant stand it. butterflies and all. i think i have all my ducks in a row and am as prepared as i can be. i just dont know what kind of tricks hes going to pull. my only real fear is that if he gets away with no consequences, hell never pay. has anyone represented themselves in court? any advice?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:27 PM on Jan. 17, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Just make notes if you can on the points you want covered. You can use those little cards. Try and stay to the facts and unemotional. The judge doesnt care if you child is so upset because of this or that. You tell he was ordered to pay this, he did not, and you want it enforced. I dont see how he can get out of it?

Answer by gemgem at 7:30 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• I have and it is indeed scary, but I won.....every dime came to me. My advice to you is to go in there and fight like you never fought before, and when you go in there, make sure you have this in your mind. "I'M FIGHTING FOR MY KIDS"....you will win if you use this approach, and relax..Its not the president...Just an irresponsible dad, and his mindless lawyer. you'll do great.
    ambr2006

Answer by ambr2006 at 7:54 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• Yes, and don't get into an arguing match, be respectful, don't interrupt anyone, and use lots of "Your Honor's". :) Good luck. It's almost over.
    amybaby_19

Answer by amybaby_19 at 7:35 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• Agree with everything else, be respectful, organized and keep all emotion out of it. State what you want immediately, in case you are cut off.
    stacyh114

Answer by stacyh114 at 7:44 PM on Jan. 19, 2011