Ok ladies, I am having an issue with my almost 4 month old daughter being content if she is not being held. The past 2 weeks, she will whine and then begin to cry if she is not being held by me contstantly.

She will wake from a nap, i will feed and change her, and play with her for about 15 -20 min, then put her in her swing or her bouncy seat or her bumbo seat. She will immediatly begin to cry her way into being picked up. I tried letting her cry 5 min, then 10 min, then 15, after that i cant take it anymore. SHe knows I am not trying to get her to sleep because I will give her toys to play with. She does not do this for my husband while I am at work. SHe will be calm and content. Any solutions to offer me? Thanks for listening:)

indysownlilbit

Asked by indysownlilbit at 7:28 PM on Jan. 17, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Babies can sense your tention. If its bothering you that shes crying then she can sense that. Are you sure its about being held? Or is it about being rocked? maybe she needs something for gas? Explore all of your options. I let dd cry herself to sleep very young when she was fed, burped, changed and had plenty of attention. Sometimes you just have to relax and KNOW that they are OK. Every mom is diff but the crying-it-out thing worked for me and dd.
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 7:34 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• Babies cry when they have needs, and your baby may just need to be close to you and have physical contact. You could try "wearing" her in a sling or carrier or wrap. She may also be bored stiff sitting in machines designed to contain babies.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 7:42 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• i can sit next to her in her bumbo seat and she is ok. the minute i get up to do something as i have 2 other kids(2 yr and 6 yr),she will start the crying. i do not let her cry herself to sleep as she falls asleep fine. She does this when she is awake and wanting to stay awake.
    indysownlilbit

Comment by indysownlilbit (original poster) at 7:46 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• my son who is almost 4 months old does the same thing I usually give in after a few minutes so now help for ya sorry

lovinmy4babys

Answer by lovinmy4babys at 7:48 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• She loves attention. Plain and simple. You cannot spoil and infant but you can get them "used to" learning how to calm themselves
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 7:50 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• i have that issue with my 6 week old.......but i luv it! well, most of the time....i have to pee sometimes!
    mama2bof2

Answer by mama2bof2 at 7:53 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• Get a sling or soft structured carrier. This is totally normal behavior, she loves you, she wants to be close to you! There's no reason to try and force or train her to sit by herself... she will soon be running away from you when you try to give her love... but then you already know that! Hold that baby! Get a good carrier to help out so you can also do other things.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 8:09 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• buy a sling! my ds was super clingy too, some babies just want alot of snuggles :)
    SimplyErathy

Answer by SimplyErathy at 2:53 AM on Jan. 18, 2011