Stripping your membranes

I had my membranes stripped with my son. It's a procedure my doctor did that separates the membranes connecting the sac. She told me if I had already started to dialate that she could strip them and I would go into labor within 24-48 hours. I had it done on a Friday and Sunday morning I was having contractions. I had a natural delivery and everything was fine. I want to do it with this pregnancy since the outcome was so great before. Has anyone had this done with different pregnancies and how did it work for you?

RishawnsMom

Asked by RishawnsMom at 7:32 PM on Jan. 17, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I had it done twice in one pregnancy and once in another and it didn't work either time.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 7:34 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• i did it with dd. they grew back. yep, that's right. they stripped mine twice. and she was 7 days late.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 7:36 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• Had it done Friday evening. Saturday evening I in labor
    nicjon

Answer by nicjon at 7:46 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• Keep in mind that no experience is the same, even with the same women. That labor does not always happen within 24-48 hours. That it isn't always an effective method. Hopefully for you, if you choose to have it done again, it is an effective method. I just want you to know that every experience can be different and to not get your hopes up.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 8:48 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• Usually it is done if you are Overdue or for some other Necessary Reasons. It may or may not cause labor to begin. It usually results in some cramping which might keep you from sleeping. You need to rest up for your Labor & Delivery. From the inside -out you have---The baby and the placenta inside "The Bag of Waters" or the sac. The "Bag" is attached by a membrane to the inside of the Uterus. Part of the bags' thin wall- blocks the Exit from the Uterus. (This is why your water needs to "Break" or be "Broken" before the "Bag" can release the baby.) As you begin to dialate the Dr. can put his gloved finger just inside the dialated Cervix & by running his finger around (in a circular motion) where the top of the Cervix & Uterus meet (just inside the edge of the Uterus) he can detatch or loosen those membranes. I was an O.R. Tech. and worked in Delivery years ago. You need to let the Dr. decide each delivery is different.
    gram22

Answer by gram22 at 9:38 PM on Jan. 17, 2011