What is the best (most effective)birth control to get while breastfeeding?

EliannasMama

Asked by EliannasMama at 7:32 PM on Jan. 17, 2011 in Health

• I'd say Mirena. It does contain hormones so it has a chance to affect milk supply, and some docs won't put it in unless you're on your period which can be scarce while BFing. But it's such an effective, easy, foolproof birth control, and it never negatively affected my supply.
    ohbladi

Answer by ohbladi at 7:39 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• I took the pill called Nora BE. its a very low estrogen pill so it doesnt get in the way of your breast feeding. my midwife gave me information on the implanon and mirena but I'm kinda afraid to do those. My cousins wife had the mirena and it split in half and lodged into her cervix. she got pregnant and had to abort the baby to get the mirena out. then the implanon goes under your skin and that just doesnt sound good to me. so even this time around I think I'm going to do the pill again. I got great results with it.
    RishawnsMom

Answer by RishawnsMom at 7:41 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• Okay Thanks. I was thinking about getting Mirena but I heard about side effects that if it goes through your uterus you might not be able to have children anymore and things like that and also the effect of your milk supply. Idk how true this is but I definitly want more babies in the future!!
    EliannasMama

Comment by EliannasMama (original poster) at 7:44 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• I want to take the pill but Im scared I would forget to take it, I heard about the one they put in your arm has anyone heard anything about it or tried it?
    EliannasMama

Comment by EliannasMama (original poster) at 7:47 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• I have the paraguard IUD. No hormones, so no effect on supply. Good for 10 years....as effective as having your tubes tied....and totally reversible. I had it after my first child for 3.5 years....had it taken out when we were ready for number 2 and i was preggo 3 months later. Now I have it again after our second child. I'm no good at remembering to take pills, plus I'm not a fan of taking hormones, so it works for me.
    logansmama

Answer by logansmama at 7:51 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• Is the paraguard IUD the one in the arm? That sounds good to me, becasue I always forget to take pills also, and I also dont want anything to affect my BF.
    EliannasMama

Comment by EliannasMama (original poster) at 7:59 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• The paraguard is an IUD like the mirena....but without hormones
    logansmama

Answer by logansmama at 8:00 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• ohhh ok, thank you.
    EliannasMama

Comment by EliannasMama (original poster) at 8:01 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• The Paragard or condoms and/or abstinence. Do NOT get ANYTHING with any kind of hormone in it, including the mini-pill, the Mirena, Nuva Ring, the Depo shot, etc. ANY kind of hormone, whether it's combination or progestin only CAN effect milk supply. I went through that problem, as well as many other mothers I either know personally or have talked to about birth control/milk supply problems. My lactation consultant confirmed it (she said that about 98% of mother who come to her with milk production problems are on some type of hormonal BC and after stopping that BC, their milk supply returns, so long as they don't give up on BF). I'm not trying to sound preachy, I'm just warning about the potential negative side effects that not ALL women have, but quite a few have experienced. For long term, the Paragard is a great BC from what I've heard from many people (my OB refused to order one, hence my problem because of Mirena).
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 8:40 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• What about a diaphragm? They work without hormones and have no side effects. They never caused a stroke, infertility or PID; you won't gain weight, get depressed, or lose your libido; your periods won't be affected. They have never been the subject of class action lawsuits and are instantly reversible.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:56 PM on Jan. 17, 2011