How do I get my SO to help more around the house?

I'm 37 weeks pregnant and worried that it will be like pulling teeth to get help. He does work full time and will be paying all of the bills while I'm off work. I just don't want to argue about it once the baby arrives. I am taking off work for a few months. I don't really know what to expect when it comes to having time to do things around the house with a newborn. It seems like he acts like he doesn't know how to clean, so that he is not expected to. Did anyone else have this problem? How did you solve it before baby arrives?

Kelli1012

Asked by Kelli1012 at 7:39 PM on Jan. 17, 2011 in Relationships

• make a list of chores and askhim to pick three or four for himself (number is up to you)
    he can feel like he has control by picking what he knows hoe to do and you will have some things off your list
    after you heal a bit and start to have more energy, baby sleeps alot
    i suggest you try to get some sleep in during the day

because i bet you will be the one up each time during the night (was that way with my childs father-he never once got up..maybe at the very start to hand me her bause i had to have c section, but once i could sit up on my own easily he did not get up once- not once
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 7:42 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• I was there too. I just stopped doing what he needed me to do. "IF you want your laundry done then do the damn dishes!" "If you want dinner on the table when you get home then take out the trash!" LOL it worked for me. You two need to come to a compromise. Just cause hes working doesnt mean that he can have his cake and eat it too. You are both responsible to make a happy home HAPPY..baby or not! Men will NEVER understand what its like to carry a child but he needs to do his best to "relate" to how you are feeling. YOU CANT DO IT ALL! Good luck mama!! And congrats!
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 7:42 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• I have always just done it all.
    JackieGirl007

Answer by JackieGirl007 at 8:43 PM on Jan. 17, 2011